History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Battery Observation Post

A Grade II Listed Building in Bawdsey, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.009 / 52°0'32"N

Longitude: 1.4329 / 1°25'58"E

OS Eastings: 635690

OS Northings: 240071

OS Grid: TM356400

Mapcode National: GBR WRH.328

Mapcode Global: VHM8L.SRCS

Entry Name: Battery Observation Post

Listing Date: 29 October 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1389463

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488145

Location: Bawdsey, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP12

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Bawdsey

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bawdsey St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bawdsey

Listing Text

BAWDSEY

1218/0/10013 EAST LANE
29-OCT-01 Battery Observation Post at TM 358 401

II

Battery Observation Post. 1940. Reinforced concrete. Two-storey building, with steps down to balcony at first-floor level; cantilevered roof over balcony, which views out to sea; entrance to ground floor immediately below, with the wide opening beneath balcony. High precision range finders were housed in the upper storey, which acted as the centre of communications with the searchlights positions and guns. A Bar and Stroud range finder was housed in the lower part of the building. This building formed the operational focal point of the Emergency Coastal Defence Battery here, which was one of many erected in 1940 to provide additional protection to harbour installations. The BOP served the gun emplacements which lie on the upper shore line approx. 100m to the east, and a series of mobile guns stationed on the marshes. This structure forms an integral part of one of the most complete 20th century coastal batteries in existence (and 7 out of 116 Emergency Batteries), relating to the rapid enhancement of Britain's coastal defence in the early stages of the Second World War, in addition to a nationally-important grouping of coastal defences on the Suffolk coast dating from the Napoleonic period.


Listing NGR: TM3569040071

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.