This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7376 / 51°44'15"N
Longitude: -1.2563 / 1°15'22"W
OS Eastings: 451452
OS Northings: 204580
OS Grid: SP514045
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZB.16P
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.5LQB
Plus Code: 9C3WPPQV+2F
Entry Name: New Hinksey Vicarage
Listing Date: 1 November 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389486
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488168
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Hinksey Park
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: South Hinksey
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
612/0/10086 VICARAGE ROAD
01-NOV-01 New Hinksey Vicarage
Vicarage. 1887-88. Harry Wilkinson Moore with slight amendments by John Oldrid Scott. Brick with pitched tile roof and stone dressings to windows and coursing.
PLAN: One long range adjacent to church. East elevation (facing church) has projecting entrance porch to vestibule that connects both to the parish room and to the hall leading to residential quarters. Trade entrance to this elevation and several service rooms to north end. Large dining room and drawing room each with fireplace and large bay window.
East elevation has projecting gabled porch with plinth and wide tudor arched opening to a recessed door. Stone coursing underneath jettied first floor with triple cusped lancet window in gable. Gable is edged in stone with projecting stone pieces imitating purlins and celtic cross finial to ridge. Two double cross windows (8 lights) to first floor divided by double jettied gables each with a pair of lancets and stone bracketed course below jettied first floor and above trades entrance. Flared buttress. End of range is another pair of double gables (not jettied) with tripartite windows in heavy quoined stone dressings to first floor.
West elevation has five two-storey gables each with a four lancet window in stone dressings under shallow tudor arch to first floor. Stone edging to gables end in decorative drainpipe caps at each valley. Two gables to north end are jettied with stone coursing and curved stone brackets. Centre bay and bay to south end have ground floor bay windows with brick parapets and prominent stone cross windows with heavy stone dressings. Segmental headed doorway with slender sidelights in stone dressings to southern side of final bay. The second bay from the south has ground floor triple cusped lancet window. Flared buttress.
South elevation has projecting end stack to centre flanked by triple cusped lancet windows at first floor under segmental arch.
North elevation of single storey range with simpler windows for service rooms.
Three stacks running across ridge with shallow gabled hoods through which the five pots project.
INTERIOR: Good quality joinery throughout. Stairs behind screen. Timber chimneypieces with marble inserts, one with notable tiles.
A mostly unaltered 1887-88 vicarage by Oxford architect Harry Wilkinson Moore in a thoughtful and well-crafted Tudor manor and Art and Crafts style.
Group value with St John the Evangelist (1899-1900, Bucknall and Comper).
Listing NGR: SP5145104581
Other nearby listed buildings