This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9517 / 53°57'6"N
Longitude: -1.0824 / 1°4'56"W
OS Eastings: 460314
OS Northings: 451015
OS Grid: SE603510
Mapcode National: GBR NQWR.G5
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.BXTX
Plus Code: 9C5WXW29+M2
Entry Name: Clementhorpe Maltings
Listing Date: 4 December 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389599
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488287
Location: Micklegate, York, YO23
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York St Clement with St Mary, Bishophill Senior
Church of England Diocese: York
Maltings. Late C19, with C20 alterations. Red brick with plain tile roofs.
PLAN: Rectangular building aligned north-south with drying kiln at south end, on Lower Ebor Street. Malthouse of 3 storeys, growing floors on ground and first floors, steep at north end of first floor, malt storage bins on second floor, and loft floor for storage of bagged barley. Hoist door at north end of west elevation.
EXTERIOR: South, kiln, front to Lower Ebor Street has inserted central pair of plank doors under concrete lintel, to left a single small window and to right a similar blocked opening, both with brick lintels. Above three openings, those to centre and right have original windows, with wooden shutters to lower part and 3 horizontal lights over. That to left now blocked. All have projecting sills and brick lintels. Wall above has been heightened, with outline of three window openings in brickwork. Pyramidal roof to kiln section topped with tall, square kiln cowl.
West elevation has ragged brickwork to north-west corner. From the left (north) it has a single hoist door on the second floor with hoist hood supported on cast-iron brackets. To right are five small windows, the three to the left with two light casements, the two to the right similar to those in the south elevation, with shutters to the lower part. The first floor has a blocked opening, a modern double door, and three blocked openings aligned with the top-floor windows. The ground floor also has blocked openings aligned with those above. The kiln to the right has blocked openings and a wide, shallow window on the top floor, now boarded over.
East elevation has the kiln to the left. It has a C20 opening to the far left, and a window at ground and middle floor levels, aligned. The malthouse has three irregularly placed windows on both the ground and first floors. All the ground-floor windows to the elevation have shuttered openings below and three small lights above. Those on the first floor are boarded over. On the top floor are grilles.
North elevation is of more modern brickwork. It has small blind gable to left and the remainder is of three storeys. Sunken ground-floor doorway to right and blocked window to left, above two shuttered openings and above again two similar openings both now boarded.
Central elevator block located on roof between kiln and malthouse; weatherboarded with corrugated iron roof.
INTERIOR: Kiln furnace is centrally located against brick wall separating the kiln from the malthouse. Furnace is manufactured by H J H King of Nailsworth, Gloucestershire. Wire wedge drying floor. Brick dividing wall has doorway on west side. Malthouse has two growing floors three bays wide with two rows of cast-iron columns forming nine bays in length. At the north end of the ground floor are three H section girders to each row instead of columns. Stop cock for the steep is located in north-west corner of ground floor. At north end of first floor is rectangular cast-iron steeping cistern, with iron water main brought along length of building against west wall (partially broken). Top floor is absent between first bay over steep and fourth bay, which now houses dressing machine by Nalder and Nalder. To south are solid wooden malt storage bins with sliding doors facing onto a corridor on west side of building. Loft floor has timber floor and queen post roof with raking struts. Other associated machinery includes a double bucket elevator for moving steeped barley from the growing floors to the kiln.
HISTORY: Clementhorpe Maltings was built in late C19, appearing on the 1892 Ordnance Survey map marked as Malthouse. It is known that in 1895 the maltings was operated by the Tadcaster Tower Brewery Company Ltd, formed in 1882 from the amalgamation of three local breweries. Changes in the external brickwork indicates a heightening of the kiln, probably dating from the early C20 when an H J H King furnace was installed. The replacement of cast-iron columns with H girders on the ground floor of the malthouse indicates a partial floor collapse at an unknown date. The Tadcaster Tower Brewery Company Ltd continued to use the maltings until the late 1950s.
Patrick, A, The Malthouse between Lower Darnborough Street and Lower Ebor Street, York, also referred to as Clementhorpe Maltings (1999, unpublished research report)
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
Clementhorpe Maltings is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It survives as a highly legible example of a small, urban late C19 maltings, both in external appearance and the retention of all the key components of the process, namely barley and malt storage, steep, growing floors, and kiln
* It retains rare machinery relating to the malting process, principally an early C20 H J H King kiln furnace, and a cistern steep, and also related machinery such as a dressing machine by Nalder and Nalder, and a double bucket elevator.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings