This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9153 / 51°54'54"N
Longitude: -0.297 / 0°17'49"W
OS Eastings: 517231
OS Northings: 225450
OS Grid: TL172254
Mapcode National: GBR H67.XBY
Mapcode Global: VHGNY.S4W3
Entry Name: Sootfield Green
Listing Date: 10 December 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389610
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488298
Location: Preston, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Preston
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
1910/0/10001 CHARLTON ROAD
10-DEC-01 Sootfield Green
House, C18, extended and modified C19 and early C20. Probably brick, rendered apart from dentil eaves course, tile roof. Originally two bay lobby entry plan, extended east and west by a single bay, the extension to west narrower than the original build. Two storeys. Entrance beneath stack with part glazed door under tiled porch. Small- paned metal- framed casements to front elevation, at ground floor of two lights under cambered arches, at first floor of two lights, set beneath eaves band. Small single lights to extensions and inserted in right bay. Axial brick stack with brick bands. Rear elevation, similar ground floor two -light casements under cambered arches, broad ledge and battened door to left bay; first floor small paned two- light casements in timber and metal, single metal framed light beneath stack. West extension with rear internal stack, entrance and single, two- light casement to each floor. Interior. West and east facing fireplaces, that to east retaining brick piers and bressumer but with inserted grate, that to east largely rebuilt, C20. Flanking c1900 cupboards. C18 winder stair with broad vertically boarded door with HL hinges. Two first floor C18 fielded panel doors, repaired, that to front of stack in situ with HL hinges, that to east rehung on strap hinges. Possible closet behind stack, lower part of timber partition reordered. Circa 1900 boarded panelling to first floor, and contemporary ledge and batten doors to both floors. Clasped purlin roof, extended to east and west.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings