This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1925 / 52°11'33"N
Longitude: -2.2181 / 2°13'5"W
OS Eastings: 385185
OS Northings: 254943
OS Grid: SO851549
Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.J0P
Mapcode Global: VH92T.H5Q1
Entry Name: King Charles House
Listing Date: 22 May 1954
Last Amended: 27 June 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488702
Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Worcester, St Martin's in the Cornmarket with St Swithun and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
620-1/17/200 (South side)
22/05/54 Nos.4 AND 5
King Charles House
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
King Charles House)
Includes: No.30 NEW STREET.
House with shop, now shops with flat over and offices.
Numbered right to left, described left to right. Two main
stages of build: No 5 (built as one house with King Charles'
House, Nos. 29 (qv) and 30. 1577 for Richard Durant and
William Blagden; jettied upper storey added when annexe (29
New Street) was built in the 1670s, with further rebuilding
c1801 to ground floor and to range to right and right return
(No 4); restored 1956. Timber frame with brick and plaster
infill and pinkish-brown brick in Flemish bond with flat
arches of red gauged brick and stone sills; slate roofs where
original, hipped at right angle and brick left end and rear
stacks. Cornmarket facade: 2 storeys, 2 first-floor windows,
with 3-storey, 3 first-floor window range at right and 3
storeys, 3 first-floor windows to right return. Timber-framed
range: 4 posts to alternately narrow and wide bays to upper
stage with close studding, small square frames and herringbone
studding. First floor has 12/12 and 16/16 sliding sashes. To
left part a short columnette with hollow moulding which in
turn interrupts long columnette. Remains of similar pilaster
to left side of right window and at right end with surmounting
lintel. Above a jetty with step, cavetto, roll, double step
and cavetto moulding. To ground floor at left a wide-plank
door with moulded lintel over with double step, ovolo, step,
ovolo, step and chamfer. Then renewed multi-pane shop window
with plank above inscribed "LOVE GOD WB 1577 RD HONOUR YE
KING". Entrance a part-glazed door with lower
raised-and-fielded panels in surround with swags, paterae and
central medallion over, brackets, frieze and dentil cornice
with surmounting timber Pompeian urn. To right a Regency bowed
multi-pane window with curved glass, frieze and dentil
Range to right (c1801): first and second floors have 6/6
sashes in plain reveals, with sills and flat arches.
Continuous modillion eaves cornice and blocking course. Ground
floor has shop front which continues around right corner under
continuous frieze and modillion cornice decorated with lozenge
and leaf motifs; the frieze bowed outwards over windows and
projects over door with cavetto section. Off-centre left
entrance a 6-flush-and-beaded-panel door with central 2 glazed
panels with overlight between slender fluted "composite"
columns; bowed multi-pane shop windows to either side, that at
right curves around corner to right return; similar end
columns with paterae above. Right return has to first and
second floors 6/6 sashes with plain reveals, sills and flat
arches. Further central entrance to ground floor a
6-flush-beaded-panel door in panelled reveals with fanlight
with radial glazing bars and open pediment. To right a C20
shop window in similar Georgian style. Rear facade has 12/12
staircase sash and 6/6 sash. External stacks have fireplaces.
INTERIOR: ground floor forms a continuous unit to Nos 4 and 5
Cornmarket and retains deeply-chamfered beams. First floor to
left part (No.5) has panelling to 3 sides of main room with
step, ovolo, roll and step moulding and frieze panels
decorated with lozenge motif. Transverse beams with deep
chamfer and step and ovolo moulding. Room to left has
deeply-chamfered axial and transverse beams, and rafters.
Panelled door and 2-panelled door with L-hinge. Rear wall has
exposed framing and diagonal braces. Roof retains purlins,
c1801 part has full-height dog-leg staircase with stick
balusters and wreathed handrail, carved tread ends. Timber
fireplace in Adam style to second floor has central panel with
pastoral scene and swags and cast-iron grate. Plasterwork
includes delicately moulded cornices.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the dwelling originally included No.29 New
Street (qv). The inscription board attached to the building
was originally set on a porch and includes the date 1577 as
well as the initials WB and RD for Richard Durant and William
Blagden, who in 1577 are recorded as leasing a small triangle
of land in the Cornmarket from the City in order to square up
their plot of land. An engraving of 1799 by James Ross
indicates that this was originally a 3-storey building, the
upper stage jettied and with 4 gables. The original plan is
thought to have been L-shaped, following the angle of the two
roads with, from Cornmarket, a kitchen, parlour and entry
passage, then shop with cellar under to corner and hall and
parlour. A fire c1790s partially destroyed the timber framed
building and caused the rebuilding. The gables
were removed c1852-60. The presence of fireplaces to the
external stacks and alternately proud and flush bricks to left
end of this phase indicates that the intention was to replace
all the timber framed section with brick. The house is
traditionally associated with the escape of Charles I after
the Battle of Worcester (1651). Pevsner describes this as a
'fine' building, noting especially the 'Late Georgian bowed
shop windows' and the 'graceful Adamish doorway'.
The building was given a City of Worcester Award in 1991.
(Molyneux NAD: Vernacular Architecture Group Spring
Conference, Worcestershire: 1995-: 2.10; The Buildings of
England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-1985:
329; Hughes P: Buildings and the Building Trade in Worcester
1540-1650: PhD thesis: 1990-: 434).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings