History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hawthorne Works Now J T Dove Ltd (Building Materials)

A Grade II Listed Building in Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9665 / 54°57'59"N

Longitude: -1.6158 / 1°36'56"W

OS Eastings: 424696

OS Northings: 563611

OS Grid: NZ246636

Mapcode National: GBR SNY.CB

Mapcode Global: WHC3R.4FVF

Entry Name: Hawthorne Works Now J T Dove Ltd (Building Materials)

Listing Date: 29 April 2002

Last Amended: 8 February 2005

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1390055

English Heritage Legacy ID: 489007

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: St Nicholas Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Jesmond

Listing Text


1833/0/10221 SOUTH STREET
29-APR-02 (West,off)
Hawthorne Works now J T Dove Ltd (Buil
ding Materials)

GV II
Former Railway engineering works, now builders merchant's. 1845-58, with later alterations. Red brick with slate and glass roofs. Two long parallel engineering sheds, now partly subsumed within a late C20 shed with steel cladding.
West facade has many blind brick arches, and the south facade has a blind circular opening in the gable.
INTERIOR has many exposed roof trusses to each shed with queen-post trusses. Between the two sheds is an iron arcade supporting a timber section with diagonal braces. These iron columns have arched braces for extra-support. This iron arcade and the timber and brick corresponding arcade on the west shed presumably supported some form of mobile crane.
HISTORY. The brothers Robert and William Hawthorn established an engineering works in the vicinity of Forth Banks in 1820, and after a fire in 1844 these new sheds were built on this new site for the construction of railway locomotives. The company eventually amalgamated with Robert Stephenson & Co in 1937, though the construction of railway engines had ceased on this site in c. 1900.
NZ2469663614

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.