This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.198 / 52°11'52"N
Longitude: -2.2211 / 2°13'16"W
OS Eastings: 384982
OS Northings: 255547
OS Grid: SO849555
Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.38N
Mapcode Global: VH92T.G04W
Plus Code: 9C4V5QXH+5G
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdelene
Listing Date: 5 April 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390143
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489113
Location: Arboretum, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Worcester St George with St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO8455NE SANSOME WALK
620-1/8/504 (East side)
05/04/71 Church of St Mary Magdalene
Church, made redundant 1978, now converted for residential use.
1876-77 by Frederick W. Preedy. Builders Messrs Collins and
Cullis of Tewkesbury. Tower and spire added in 1889; architect Mr
J S Alder of London; builder Mr A Estcourt of Gloucester. Squared
sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings of Bath stone; plain clay
tile roof. Bellcote to E-end of main ridge. Spire is ashlar with
five contrasting colour bands. Middle Pointed style.
PLAN AND EXTERIOR: 4-bay aisled nave with clerestorey, west-end
door; tower to SW corner with paired doors to S side; 4-bay
chancel. Detailing includes chamfered plinth, sill and decorative
banding, hood moulds and string courses, door and window
surrounds, copings to gable-parapets, angle buttresses. West-end
has pair of tall lancet windows with mullion and cinquefoil, hood
mould. Wheel window above. Shallow porch with pointed arch,
single colonettes with foliate capitals, pointed planked door.
Lancet windows to aisles; 3-light and quatrefoil to clerestorey.
Large 5-light lancet window to E end. South entrance (now window)
shallow porch with pointed arch, triple colonettes with foliate
capitals; carved figures to typanum. Base of tower is square in
plan with angle buttresses. Upper bell stage and spire are
ctagonal in plan linked together by tall pinnacles. Some new
window openings mainly in east-end and at low level. Roof
windows. All glazing renewed in clear-glass.
INTERIOR: Converted to accommodate 30 flats on five floors.
HISTORICAL NOTE: In Worcester Frederick Preedy was also
responsible for the design of St Stephen's, and the S window of
the S transept to Worcester cathedral(qv). In addition he was
involved in the restoration of both St Clement's and St Helen's
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth:
Other nearby listed buildings