This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3404 / 51°20'25"N
Longitude: -0.7688 / 0°46'7"W
OS Eastings: 485856
OS Northings: 160868
OS Grid: SU858608
Mapcode National: GBR D8L.Y5W
Mapcode Global: VHDXH.MKFS
Entry Name: Old College with attached lamps, Royal Military Academy
Listing Date: 20 December 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390376
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489359
Location: Sandhurst, Bracknell Forest, GU15
County: Bracknell Forest
Civil Parish: Sandhurst
Built-Up Area: Sandhurst
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Sandhurst
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU86SE LONDON ROAD
674-1/18/164 (North West side)
20/12/72 Old Building with attached lamps,
Royal Military Academy
Military academy and barracks. 1807 and finished 1812. By John
Sanders, architect for the Barrack Department, trident plan
rear accommodation wings dated 1862 on hoppers, canteen c1910.
MATERIALS: Stucco with hipped slate roof, yellow stock brick
rear barrack ranges.
PLAN: symmetrical, axial plan with central chapel and rear
canteen, wings set back and 1862 trident plan barracks behind.
STYLE: Greek Revival style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic, 3:7:12:6:12:7:3-window range.
Long symmetrical front with first floor cill bands, cornice
and parapet, has steps up to projecting central hexastyle
Greek Doric portico with coat of arms in pediment over large
6-panel double door. Flanking 12-window ranges each side with
end 3 windows set forward. Recessed 6/6-pane sashes with
ground floor cornices and first floor shouldered architraves.
Outer single storey 5-bay colonnades link with 7-bay blocks
and end 3-window pavilions each side.
Rear cadets' accommodation 3 storeys with 6/6-pane sashes.
Central early C20 canteen to rear.
INTERIOR: central range has flagged axial corridor with rear
cantilevered open well stair with cast iron balusters, central
flagged hall with chapel off to rear with segmental vault and
Ionic corbels, flanking mess rooms, with panelled
wainscotting, 2-panel doors with reeded panels, Greek key
frieze. Central first floor room with shallow domed ceiling,
reeded fireplace with decorative panles. Canteen similar to
that at the New Building (qv), 4-bays with glazed tiled walls.
Trident wings have cantilevered dogleg stairs with column
newels and stick balusters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached corner cast iron open work
HISTORY: the RMC at Sandhurst was established in 1799 as a
junior officers' training college on the lines of the RMA for
artillery at Woolwich. First designed by James Wyatt, surveyor
to the Office of Works, and started by Alexander Copland, the
large barrcaks contractor. Both were removed from the job;
Sanders altered Wyatt's design, enlarging the portico. An
impressive and early example of the Greek Revival, set
overlooking a parade square and fine landscaped grounds, and
part of a group with the other historic college buildings at
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Berkshire: 1966-: 211;
Country Life: Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst: 1969-: 1662;
Shepperd A: Sandhurst - the Royal Military Academy: London:
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings