History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal Memorial Chapel, Royal Military Academy

A Grade II Listed Building in Sandhurst, Bracknell Forest

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3413 / 51°20'28"N

Longitude: -0.77 / 0°46'11"W

OS Eastings: 485772

OS Northings: 160960

OS Grid: SU857609

Mapcode National: GBR D8L.XV6

Mapcode Global: VHDXH.LKS4

Entry Name: Royal Memorial Chapel, Royal Military Academy

Listing Date: 8 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1390377

English Heritage Legacy ID: 489360

Location: Sandhurst, Bracknell Forest, GU15

County: Bracknell Forest

Civil Parish: Sandhurst

Built-Up Area: Sandhurst

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Sandhurst

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Sandhurst

Listing Text

SANDHURST

SU86SE LONDON ROAD
674-1/18/303 (North West side)
08/07/98 Royal Memorial Chapel, Royal
Military Academy

GV II

Garrison church. 1879, by Col. R H Williams RE, (Cpt. Henry
Cole -Pevsner) reorientated and nave added 1937, by Cpt. A C
Martin, architect.
MATERIALS: red brick with polychromatic red and black brick
dressings to transepts, stone dressings to nave, and slate
roof.
PLAN: aisled Greek cross plan.
STYLE: Tuscan Romanesque Revival style.
EXTERIOR: nave aisle has plain moulding below moulded parapet
coping, with round arched windows and sunken panels. 1930s
east gable has apsidal end with half dome and lower
parapetted sides, and stepped central bay with blind round
arched panel. Symmetrical, strongly articulated North side has
central 1879 pedimented transept with moulded pedimented
central section rising above aisles, and belcote with pitched
roof and 2 round arched openings and finial, round arched
ground floor arcade of 5-bays with pilasters linked by impost
band, outer round and inner lozenge panels in tympana, black
bands to spandrels above, outer doorway with responds and
white marble friezes over double doors, with similar central
window, in upper section, 1930s 3-arch arcade has paired
central round arched windows, and outer lozenges.
Nave aisles either side have 3 round arched windows, inner 2
beneath shallow clerestory gable with Lombard frieze and
moulded cill band to 7-bay arcade with plain stone shafts. End
aisle window beneath double recessed panels with paired round
arched heads. 2-light clerestory windows within round arched
recess.
1930s west end has blind outer bays set forward with shallow
clasping buttresses to coped parapet, and small niche with
canted pedestal, linked by narthex with steps up to 3-bay open
stone arcade on Ionic columns, beneath raking roof up to west
gable, which has 3 blind bays of round arches on alternate
columns and brackets, to recessed gable between plain
buttresses with 9-bay arcade of windows on brick piers. South
side similar to north, 1879 transept gable has central 5-sided
canted apse with stepped round-arched windows and bracketed
eaves cornice, and blind round arches each side with similar
3-bay arcade to gable above, with pediment divided by 7
recesses, mid C20 single storey parapetted vestry extends
across bottom.
INTERIOR: richly decorated with marble and mosaic, paired
square nave piers to cornice, linked across the nave by round
arches between saucer domes at the crossing and to east and
west. West projecting corner galleries have paired lower
arches on Ionic column and iron railings to upper gallery.
Timber panelled aisles. Apse contains marble aedicule with
Corinthian pilasters to pediment and round arch. 1879 south
apse, closed by timber screen, lined with brown marble, has
round arch to mosaic half dome. Marble octagonal pulpit with
round arches on green columns.
FITTINGS: stands for remembrance books and organ case 1950s by
Sir Hugh Casson.
STAINED GLASS: east part by Powell's, in west part by Laurence
Lee.
HISTORY: strikingly rich and complex composition. Original
chapel, now transept, was modelled on Sienna cathedral, and
chapel was re-orientated when it was extended in 1930s.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Berkshire: 1966-: 211;
PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: Memorial Chapel: 1898-:
ALD/199-202).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.