History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

7, the Mall

A Grade II Listed Building in Ealing, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5142 / 51°30'51"N

Longitude: -0.3007 / 0°18'2"W

OS Eastings: 518014

OS Northings: 180845

OS Grid: TQ180808

Mapcode National: GBR 7X.6VY

Mapcode Global: VHGQW.Q6XJ

Entry Name: 7, the Mall

Listing Date: 19 June 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1390495

English Heritage Legacy ID: 490374

Location: Ealing, London, W5

County: London

District: Ealing

Electoral Ward/Division: Ealing Broadway

Built-Up Area: Ealing

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Matthew Ealing Common

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Greenford

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/11/2017

962/0/10076

THE MALL
7

19-JUN-03

II
Shop with residential accommodation over. Early 1880s, architect unknown. Polychrome red and brown brick, with stone voussoirs and console brackets; slate roof. Ground floor shop to front, with two storeys of accommodation over, and rear wing. Upper windows renewed and not of special interest. Projecting clock contemporary with building, on elaborate cast-iron bracket. Rear addition of 1921 by G Percy Pratt.

Ground-floor shop front with central glazed door in timber surround set well back behind curved frontage, with rounded glass sheets and scrolling, slightly art nouveau style tracery. Front window flat, but similarly set on plinth of Norwegian 'black pearl' granite. Above the entrance is further tracery, and mirror glass. The shop front appears to date from 1902, when plans for the remodelling of the premises were prepared by Charles Spurgeon, described as an architect from Manor Park. Interior retains cornices and lincrusta ceiling.

One of the first known occupants of the shop, documented in 1884, was E D Walters, a jeweller. By 1890 G H Stoneman, watchmaker and jeweller had moved in. The large clock was thus an elaborate advertisement, and is contemporary with the completion of the parade of shops. Stoneman leased the shop until at least 1914, and thus also commissioned the later shopfront.

Included for the rarity and quality of its art nouveau shopfront, which together with the clock above makes for a striking piece of townscape.

Sources
Ealing Building Control no.2239
Ealing Post Office Directories 1889, 1894-

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.