This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4478 / 52°26'51"N
Longitude: -2.2285 / 2°13'42"W
OS Eastings: 384563
OS Northings: 283337
OS Grid: SO845833
Mapcode National: GBR 1C1.FDT
Mapcode Global: VH91G.BQ6X
Entry Name: 112, High Street
Listing Date: 25 July 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390535
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490457
Location: Kinver, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DY7
District: South Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Kinver
Built-Up Area: Kinver
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Kinver St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
1576/0/10020 HIGH STREET
25-JUL-03 (South side)
Late-C16 house of timber-framed construction with plain clay tile roof, re-fenestrated and extended in late-C18 and C19.
PLAN: Original building comprises 1 room to front with smaller room behind, front probably originally jettied on first floor and underbuilt when late-C19 shop-front inserted; original smaller room slightly extended to rear with chimneybreast; further two-bay late-C18 and C19 extension to rear.
EXTERIOR: The building is gable-fronted to the street, on 2 storeys with roughcast and rendered walls to the original section which has a steep-pitched clay tile roof, now asymmetrical, apparently as the result of the demolition of an attached structure directly to the east; painted brick with clay tile roofs to the C18/C19 addition. Front elevation has late-C19 shop-front with large windows flanking central half-glazed door with rectangular overlight; late-C20 fascia applied over original moulded fascia; first floor has lead-roofed canted bay window with plate glass sashes divided by decorative pilasters and with moulded brackets to the cornice. Left return has flush 4-panel door towards rear of original section and a 2-light mullioned window to the staircase. C19 casement windows to single bay C18/C19 additions, each slightly lower, with half-dormer. Right return, visible above rear catslide roofslope and conservatory of The Old White Hart, has two 4-paned sash windows on the first floor.
INTERIOR: Close-studded timber frame exposed to right wall of front room, with deeply chamfered cross and spine beams and heavily jowled corner post. Close studding continues to small room behind, also with chamfered cross beam and corner post to rear with redundant mortices facing into room. Staircase has ground to first-floor flight remodelled in late-C20 but retains stick balusters, moulded handrail and ball finials to newels on first floor; cupboard above balustrade on landing has panelled door with butterfly hinges leading to former continuation of staircase to inaccessible attic, although the base of a principal rafter and a curved windbrace are visible on landing. Position of original back wall of rear room on first floor indicated by beam with empty mortices to underside and corner post with redundant mortices like that in room directly below; extension of this room to rear has large chimneybreast with moulded surround to infilled fireplace. Front room has 4-panel door to cupboard area. Substantially planked door with strap-hinges to outside wall of landing (bricked behind) clearly gave access to now-demolished building to east.
HISTORY: The White Hart is known to have existed by 1605. No.112 and The Old White Hart do not communicate internally, but an examination of the roof structures of both buildings might elucidate the relationship between the two.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings