This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4653 / 51°27'54"N
Longitude: -0.3602 / 0°21'36"W
OS Eastings: 514004
OS Northings: 175307
OS Grid: TQ140753
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.HVG
Mapcode Global: VHFTL.PFXL
Entry Name: Offices and Workshops
Listing Date: 6 August 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490480
Location: Hounslow, London, TW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Hounslow Central
Built-Up Area: Hounslow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Stephen Hounslow
Church of England Diocese: London
787/0/10167 INWOOD ROAD
06-AUG-03 (North side)
117A AND 117B
Offices and workshops
Office with workshop, c.1933-5, architect unknown.
The walls are of brick. They are rendered and white painted for the office, with decorative fins in reinforced concrete. The walls are left fairfaced for the workshop. There are small-pained painted metal windows. The office is flat roofed, and the workshop has a steep double-pitch roof of corrugated asbestos sheeting, with ceiling lights on the north east side. The side extension has a flat felted roof.
The building can be divided into two distinct parts; the office building addressing the street to the south east, and the workshop to the rear. The office has a very shallow rectangular plan, with a curved south corner. There is a central entrance on the long south-east street frontage with projecting curved stair tower to its right. On the ground floor, the small central lobby contains the stair, and gives access to small rooms, one to the left and one to the right, and to the workshop straight ahead. There are two further rooms either side of the stair on the first floor of the office. The workshop behind is a larger space, the width of the office building, with small, lower-ceilinged rooms added to the rear. There is a single storey extension, separately numbered 117b, set back from the main office front, running the depth of the building along the southwest side. Rear elevations not of special interest.
The office is in the moderne style. Its street elevation is the principal facade of the building, and partially conceals the workshop behind. A curved ground floor window corresponds to the curve of the south corner, and the curved stair tower is dressed with six tiered projecting horizontal fins, the lowest forming a canopy over the entrance and narrow lobby window. The parapet is capped with narrow coping, and the faÎade is punctuated by metal windows. The side elevations are subsidiary, the rendered narrow end walls of the office adjoining the functional fairfaced brick workshop/extension walls. Rear elevations not of special interest.
The interiors of office and workshop are both simple. The office has white painted rendered walls and carpeted floors, with a modern suspended ceilings and fluorescent lighting. The walls of the workshop are white-painted brick, painted concrete block along the south-west side, adjoining the extension. The ceilings are lined, probably with plasterboard, and follow the pitch of the roofline. They are braced with two light metal trusses. There is modern suspended lighting, and a screed floor over brick.
Probably built for Gough Harding, process engravers, who were also using the neighbouring house, No.119, as premises in 1937.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings