This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5627 / 51°33'45"N
Longitude: -0.0599 / 0°3'35"W
OS Eastings: 534574
OS Northings: 186649
OS Grid: TQ345866
Mapcode National: GBR J6.7KQ
Mapcode Global: VHGQM.XZ5F
Entry Name: Clapton Library
Listing Date: 15 August 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390564
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490512
Location: Hackney, London, E5
Electoral Ward/Division: Cazenove
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Michael Stoke Newington
Church of England Diocese: London
735/0/10132 NORTHWOLD ROAD
Public Library. 1913-14 by Edwin Cooper, FRIBA. Red brick, mansard roof of Cumberland slates. A long, rectangular building, one and a half storeys.
EXTERIOR: Two arched openings, the western containing the entrance, the eastern a window with rubbed brick keystones and tilework surrounds. Above each opening is a stone scrolled cartouche with festoon inscribed CLAPTON PUBLIC LIBRARY and with owl. Stone string course at plinth height below 7-window range in centre, each window of 12 panes with hinged upper sections set within surrounds of gauged red brick. Prominent eaves cornice.
INTERIOR: includes a bronze dedication plaque in entrance hall commemorating the library's opening on 14 January 1914. Tuscan pilasters to reading rooms on ground floor. Children's library on first floor is barrel-vaulted, with issue desk at west end looking down into stairwell.
HISTORY: Hackney adopted the Public Libraries Act in 1903, and built three libraries to designs by Edwin Cooper a decade later-Dalston (demolished), Homerton (q.v.) and Clapton. The library was funded by Andrew Carnegie, the industrialist and philanthropist who financed 2800 libraries worldwide by 1919. Planned central tower not executed.
SOURCES: The Builder, 17 October 1913. Elizabeth Robinson, C20 Buildings of Hackney (Hackney Society, 1999).
Included as one of three libraries in Hackney (c.f. Homerton, q.v.) designed by Sir Edwin Cooper in a restrained Classical style, with excellent use of materials, and funded by Andrew Carnegie.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings