This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5574 / 51°33'26"N
Longitude: -0.0563 / 0°3'22"W
OS Eastings: 534842
OS Northings: 186070
OS Grid: TQ348860
Mapcode National: GBR J6.GH7
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.Z33X
Plus Code: 9C3XHW4V+XF
Entry Name: Church of St James the Great
Listing Date: 24 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226893
English Heritage Legacy ID: 424410
Location: Hackney Downs, Hackney, London, E5
Electoral Ward/Division: Hackney Downs
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Clapton
Church of England Diocese: London
LOWER CLAPTON ROAD E5 (north west side)
Church of St James the Great
Church. Nave of 1840-41 by E.C Hakewill, 1902 chancel by W.D Caröe, and 1978 conversion of west end. Stock brick with stone dressings, and red brick 1902 work.
EXTERIOR: aisleless nave with five thin lancets in splayed stone surrounds, now part of the separate western conversion and terminating in a taller bay to west end with attached 1978 stair and lift tower. Tall two bay transepts culminate in lower polygonal chapels. Tall octagonal turret to southeast angle with stone spire, Latin inscription course and gargoyles below projecting cornice, then tall stone arcade above brick with stone pointed arch detail. Red brick chancel added 1902 with tall corner buttresses and three lancets to east end. North transept links to covered porch over footpath; south transept has main porch in east corner.
INTERIOR: crossing has wooden roof with four bosses; transepts and nave have wooden tie beams with slender struts above tie beam. Chancel arch with slender clustered piers, quatrefoil details to spandrels, and short colonnettes with foliate capitals and corbelling to outside of aisles. North organ chamber with aisle behind arcade leading to vestry. Delicate wooden arcade to each chancel aisle and screen to sanctuary with painted wooden reredos. East window has Christ flanked by St. James and St. John; south aisle has St. Anna, St. Simeon, the Sower and the Light of the World. Wooden choir stalls with Art Nouveau flower detail. Stone font in north transept. Transepts behind two bay arcade with tall slender clustered piers; nave behind 1978 concrete block partition, where original roof and inserted floors.
A church of 1840-41 by E.C Hakewill with 1902 chancel by W.D Caröe that has an impressive turret and spacious interior with fine detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings