This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3477 / 51°20'51"N
Longitude: -0.8768 / 0°52'36"W
OS Eastings: 478323
OS Northings: 161553
OS Grid: SU783615
Mapcode National: GBR C74.F4Q
Mapcode Global: VHDXF.RDB7
Entry Name: Charles Kingsley's Primary School
Listing Date: 7 October 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390583
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490531
Location: Eversley, Hart, Hampshire, RG27
Civil Parish: Eversley
Built-Up Area: Eversley Centre
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Eversley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1687/0/10042 CHARLES KINGSLEY'S PRIMARY SCHOOL
School. 1853 National school; extended 1901 and later C20. Red brick, partly tile-hung and with applied timber-framing with rendered panels. Plain tile roofs with gabled ends. Brick stacks.
PLAN: 1853 school comprises large school room with master's house on right [south]; another school room added in 1901 on left [north] in form of a cross-wing. Later C20 single-storey classrooms added at rear [east] and the recent addition to the north east are not included in the listing.
Victorian Picturesque style.
EXTERIOR: Single-storey school and 1-storey and attic master's house. School on left has applied timber-framing, 3-bay front with band of multi-pane windows under eaves, the centre bay with timber raking buttresses rising up to large glazed gabled bay with tile-hung gable; large gabled timber-framed porch on right in angle, with brick master's house projecting on right with twin tile-hung gabled front with bands of scalloped tiles, casement windows with glazing bars; small canted bay on right [south] end; gabled at rear [east]. 1901 cross-wing extension [Kingsley Memorial Room] on left [north], applied timber-framing with roughcast panels, gabled front with gabled brick porch, integral outshut and large windows above with similar windows under twin gables on left [north] return. Later C20 single-storey classrooms at rear [east].
INTERIOR: 1853 school room is open to 3-bay timber roof with arch-braced trusses on brackets and with curved struts above the collars and exposed purlins and common-rafters; fireplace in lateral stack at back. Master's house has simple stick-baluster staircase, chimneypieces and panelled and plank doors. 1901 school room extension has carved wooden plaque inscribed; 'Kingsley Memorial Room, Easter 1901; T. Chipchase sc'.
NOTE: The school is named after Charles Kingsley, who was rector at Eversley.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings