This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6216 / 53°37'17"N
Longitude: -2.1704 / 2°10'13"W
OS Eastings: 388828
OS Northings: 413912
OS Grid: SD888139
Mapcode National: GBR FV8K.XG
Mapcode Global: WHB8X.M7PF
Entry Name: Silver Street Chapel
Listing Date: 30 September 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491164
Location: Rochdale, OL12
Electoral Ward/Division: Spotland and Falinge
Built-Up Area: Rochdale
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Rochdale St Chad, St Mary and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
335/0/10061 SILVER STREET
30-SEP-03 Silver Street Chapel
Non-conformist chapel. Dated 1893, with additions of 1902, and later C20 alterations and additions. By Edgar Wood, architect, of Middleton, for the Wesleyan Methodists, with additions of 1902 by T.Butterworth, architect of Dearnley. Red brick, laid to English bond, with ashlar sandstone dressings, quoins and decorative banding. Restrained Arts and Crafts style.
PLAN: Original T-shaped plan modified by additions to north and south elevations.
EXTERIOR: Front (east) elevation with wide gable rising from a sandstone plinth, with ashlar sandstone banding within the brick walling. Central entrance with ashlar quoining and semi-circular arch headed opening with drip mould. Datestone to the left of the double doorway . Ashlar plaque above arch head extends to dentilled cill band to stepped full- width window to gable apex, made up of 7 linked lancets. The gable apex is rendered, with sculptural decoration in the form of a tree rising from the arched head of the central lancet. Set in from the corners of the gable are wide sloping coursed stone buttresses which terminate above the cill band. Deep overhang to roof verges, supported on projecting ends of purlins and wall plates. Side (south) elevation with single- storeyed 4-bay addition extending almost the full length of the chapel. Projecting gable to east end with stepped 3-light stepped lancet window and sloping angle buttresses. 2-storeyed gabled crosswing to west end with 3-light stepped lancet window to upper floor above ground floor doorway. Between the gabled ranges, a 3-bay link with intermediate buttresses, each bay with 3, 3 over 3 pane windows. Lancets to west gable now blocked.
HISTORY: The Silver Street chapel is amongst Wood's earliest ecclesiastical commissions. The first, the Unitarian Chapel in Middleton was demolished in 1965. The building was built as a Wesleyan Chapel.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings