This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3005 / 51°18'1"N
Longitude: -0.8706 / 0°52'14"W
OS Eastings: 478831
OS Northings: 156315
OS Grid: SU788563
Mapcode National: GBR C7Q.GNX
Mapcode Global: VHDXM.VKLW
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 27 November 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390797
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491619
Location: Hartley Wintney, Hart, Hampshire, RG27
Civil Parish: Hartley Wintney
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Hartley Wintney with Elvetham St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
27-NOV-03 THE OLD RECTORY
Former rectory, later house. Built in 1857 as the rectory to St Mary's Church, Elvetham. The builders were Pool and Sons from Hartley Wintney, but the architect was probably Samuel Sanders Teulon, who was employed by Lord Calthorpe on the Elvetham estate at this period. The rectory is of the same building materials as the main house. Gothic style. Built of red brick with black brick dressings and tiled roof with ridgetiles and three tall Tudor style brick chimneystacks. An asymmetrical building, the main house is of three by two windows but with an attached former carriage house of one storey.
EXTERIOR: The north west or entrance front of the main house is of three bays, the right hand window in a projecting gable with arch-braced bargeboards and ornamental tile-hanging. First floor windows are sashes with cambered heads. Ground floor windows have cambered heads and transoms and the upper parts have bottle glass to protect the furniture from summer sunlight. The front door is recessed behind a round-headed arch and is the original plank door with original door furniture, key, brass knob and cast-iron strapwork. Attached to the left is a one storey carriage house. The south west elevation, or garden front, is of two bays, the right hand one a two storey canted bay with three windows and a pyramidal roof with an elaborate cast iron finial with floral motif, probably a lightning conductor. French window to left and a verandah with four painted cast iron columns with circular design to the spandrels. To the right are attached one storey outbuildings.
INTERIOR: Well staircase with turned balusters and chamfered newelpost with ball finial and adjoining panelling with chamfered edges. The staircase window has small square panes in pale green and yellow and other internal features reported include the original wooden shutters to the main rooms, the original servants bells to the kitchen, original brass door handles to all the upper bedrooms, stone shelves for wine racks in the cellar and the original fireplace in the front reception room. The former carriage house is reported to retain its fireplace, a stall block with two loose boxes and Victorian pump in the scullery.
HISTORY: The fourth Lord Calthorpe was an aide de camp to Lord Raglan in the Crimean War. Teulon was employed on the Elvetham estate from 1849 and is known to have built the main house, Elvetham Hall, in 1859-60, the Water Tower, estate cottages and school. The "Buildings of England" Hampshire volume suggests that he was also responsible for the spire on St Mary's Church, the main body of which was built in 1840-1 by Henry Roberts. Teulon also designed Woodlands Vale in Calthorpe Road, Ryde, Isle of Wight, a re-modelling of an earlier house for Lord Calthorpe.
An unaltered 1857 purpose-built rectory with many well-designed features and likely to be the work of S S Teulon, employed by Lord Calthorpe to build many estate buildings at Elvetham.
[David Lloyd and N Pevsner "Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight" 1967 pp 210-211.]
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings