This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4539 / 52°27'14"N
Longitude: -2.1152 / 2°6'54"W
OS Eastings: 392266
OS Northings: 284002
OS Grid: SO922840
Mapcode National: GBR 2DJ.01V
Mapcode Global: VH91J.9L35
Entry Name: Lye and Wollescote Cemetery Chapel
Listing Date: 8 March 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391271
English Heritage Legacy ID: 492002
Location: Dudley, DY9
Electoral Ward/Division: Lye and Stourbridge North
Built-Up Area: Stourbridge
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Lye, The Christ Church and Stambermill
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
576/0/10013 CEMETERY ROAD
Lye and Wollescote Cemetery Chapel
Pair of cemetery chapels with lobbies and vestry. Dated 1878. Smalman Smith of Stourbridge. The building is of red, English-bond brick with ashlar and black brick dressings and a gabled roof of banded plain and fishscale tiles. H-shaped, single-storey plan. The central, octagonal spire is of white bricks. Gothic. The entrance front has a central steeple with paired, half-glazed doors with tracery panels and arched top. Above is a clock face of 1912 in an ogee frame and above this are 2 lancets with louvres to the belfry. The tower has angle buttresses with offsets which rise to pinnacles, terminating in spirelets. Behind the fretwork parapet the spire has ribs to the angles and terminates in a weathervane which is dated "1878". At either side are 3-light windows with segmental pointed heads with hood moulds and in the roof above these are triangular dormers. to either side are the projecting bodies of the chapels and these have 3-light windows with Decorated tracery. The right and left flanks are similar, having paired 2-light windows at the centre, flanked by single lancets with buttresses between and at the angles. The right flank has four 2-light basement windows with flat heads. The rear has a projecting central gabled wing with 3 lancet lights. At either side are 3-light windows with segmental pointed heads, as on the entrance front, and at either side of these the gabled chapels have double doors with gabled and buttressed surrounds which project slightly from the wall surface. Rose windows to the centre of each gable. The left hand chapel doors have lost their steps and the right hand doors are now approached by a C20 brick ramp.
Interior: The chapels each have hammer beam roofs and plaster inscribed in imitation of ashlar blocks and stained glass patterns to the windows. The pews to both chapels have been removed but at the time of survey  they were believed to be in store. They also have polychromatic encaustic tiled floors, as do the entrance lobbies and passageways. A stone spiral staircase leads up to the clock room and belfry. This pair of cemetery chapels and their common parts are well designed and richly decorated and contain the great majority of their original architectural features.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.