This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6889 / 53°41'20"N
Longitude: -1.7949 / 1°47'41"W
OS Eastings: 413639
OS Northings: 421402
OS Grid: SE136214
Mapcode National: GBR HTXS.6C
Mapcode Global: WHC9V.DJHW
Plus Code: 9C5WM6Q4+H2
Entry Name: Rastrick Library
Listing Date: 18 February 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391309
English Heritage Legacy ID: 492422
Location: Rastrick, Calderdale, HD6
Electoral Ward/Division: Rastrick
Built-Up Area: Brighouse
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rastrick St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
32/0/10015 CROWTREES LANE
Library, 1912, narrowly coursed pale grey stone with ashlar dressings and grey slate roof. Mainly single storey. Steps leading to central arched entrance with panelled wooden double doors. Extended keystone with date "1912", and decorated gable over, containing carved Yorkshire rose above the words PUBLIC LIBRARY, and heraldic carving at apex. Symmetrical front with three windows each side having original glazing bars of four lights over three incorporating round-arched central light. At each end a forward facing gable with three light first floor window and heraldic carving at apex. Side elevations have two windows matching front, and one smaller. At the rear, the ground slopes away steeply and a lower storey, attached to but separate from the library, is added.
Interior: entrance lobby leading to wood and glass screen with double doors, decorative woodwork including curved glazing bars and a Yorkshire rose on a shield above, and engraved glass incorporating the words PUBLIC LIBRARY. Doors lead into internal lobby, where the reverse of the Yorkshire rose design is a coat of arms with surrounding foliage. Ahead is another, matching wood and glass screen with ENQUIRY engraved in the glass and a clock above, with entry and exit points to either side. To each side is a similar screen with double doors into side rooms. The library counter within the main room is central behind the entrance screen. The central room has windows on three sides and roof lights on either side of the ceiling which is vaulted through the depth of the building. There is a room to either side at the front, screened off with wood and glass but accessible from the main room, though formerly entered from the lobby. Some later wooden screening to left hand room. Further side room to rear left, and to right non-public rooms. Inner panelled door with engraved glass reading LIBRARIAN'S ROOM, and lavatory with original tiles and brass door furniture. Original green tiles to lower half of walls throughout, and radiators.
Land for the library was given by John William Clay, and the building paid for by Alderman William Smith.
To the front are gardens including a sunken garden.
Other nearby listed buildings