History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Memorial Archway, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall to Newbiggin Memorial Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Newbiggin-by-the-Sea, Northumberland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1829 / 55°10'58"N

Longitude: -1.5158 / 1°30'57"W

OS Eastings: 430928

OS Northings: 587726

OS Grid: NZ309877

Mapcode National: GBR K8VH.MW

Mapcode Global: WHC2M.PZCM

Entry Name: Memorial Archway, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall to Newbiggin Memorial Park

Listing Date: 28 November 2005

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 494616

Location: Newbiggin by the Sea, Northumberland, NE64

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Newbiggin by the Sea

Built-Up Area: Newbiggin-by-the-Sea

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Woodhorn with Newbiggin

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Woodhorn

Listing Text


1761/0/10009 FRONT STREET
28-NOV-05 Memorial archway, gates, railings and
boundary wall to Newbiggin Memorial Park

II
First World War Memorial Archway 1924 by Messrs Cackett and Burns Dick for the War Memorial Committee. Portland stone and bronze. Jambs and lintel of plain monumental stone blocks framing square opening hung with decorative bronze gates, Words MEMORIAL PARK incised on rectangular panel over archway. Projecting stone band with stepped parapet above carved with laurel wreath in half relief.
Applied bronze letters above archway forming the dedication
To the glorious men of/Newbiggin-by-the-Sea who made the/ supreme sacrifice in the Great War. Flanked by the dates 1914 1918 and 1939 1945.
Stone memorial garden boundary walls with pillars at angles and original curving sections of bronze decorative railings to right and left of archway. Remainder of railings replaced in 2005 are not of special interest.
HISTORY: The memorial garden was raised by public subscription and constructed on a site given by the Freeholders of Newbiggin. The gateway was designed by Messrs Cackett and Burns Dick of Newcastle, and built by Mr Gibson of Newbiggin. The surrounding stone walling and pillars are by Messrs. Finlay and Robinson of Woodhorn. The plaque on the archway was unveiled on 8th November 1924 by Major N Southern and dedicated by Canon Rhodes, Vicar of Woodhorn. The bronze gates were unlocked by Mr. Cutter of Newbiggin Urban District Council. The Memorial Park was restored in 2005 and rededicated in the presence of the Duke of Kent; a stone placed within the garden commemorates this event.
SOURCES: North East War Memorials Project Ref 34153

The archway and boundary walls of a memorial garden form an attractive memorial, to the dead of both World Wars. It was constructed, in 1924, by public subscription following the donation of land by local freeholders. Recommended for listing in Grade II.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.


This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


1761/0/10009 FRONT STREET
28-NOV-05 Memorial archway, gates, railings and
boundary wall to Newbiggin Memorial Park

II
First World War Memorial Archway 1924 by Messrs Cackett and Burns Dick for the War Memorial Committee. Portland stone and bronze. Jambs and lintel of plain monumental stone blocks framing square opening hung with decorative bronze gates, Words MEMORIAL PARK incised on rectangular panel over archway. Projecting stone band with stepped parapet above carved with laurel wreath in half relief.
Applied bronze letters above archway forming the dedication
To the glorious men of/Newbiggin-by-the-Sea who made the/ supreme sacrifice in the Great War. Flanked by the dates 1914 1918 and 1939 1945.
Stone memorial garden boundary walls with pillars at angles and original curving sections of bronze decorative railings to right and left of archway. Remainder of railings replaced in 2005 are not of special interest.
HISTORY: The memorial garden was raised by public subscription and constructed on a site given by the Freeholders of Newbiggin. The gateway was designed by Messrs Cackett and Burns Dick of Newcastle, and built by Mr Gibson of Newbiggin. The surrounding stone walling and pillars are by Messrs. Finlay and Robinson of Woodhorn. The plaque on the archway was unveiled on 8th November 1924 by Major N Southern and dedicated by Canon Rhodes, Vicar of Woodhorn. The bronze gates were unlocked by Mr. Cutter of Newbiggin Urban District Council. The Memorial Park was restored in 2005 and rededicated in the presence of the Duke of Kent; a stone placed within the garden commemorates this event.
SOURCES: North East War Memorials Project Ref 34153

The archway and boundary walls of a memorial garden form an attractive memorial, to the dead of both World Wars. It was constructed, in 1924, by public subscription following the donation of land by local freeholders. Recommended for listing in Grade II.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.


Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.