This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9957 / 50°59'44"N
Longitude: -0.1206 / 0°7'14"W
OS Eastings: 531985
OS Northings: 123492
OS Grid: TQ319234
Mapcode National: GBR KNC.DCL
Mapcode Global: FRA B6MH.4TH
Entry Name: Bolnore House
Listing Date: 28 November 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391435
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491442
Location: Haywards Heath, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH16
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Haywards Heath
Built-Up Area: Haywards Heath
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Cuckfield Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
1349/0/10014 ISAACS LANE
02-DEC-05 Bolnore House
Former mansion, now divided into apartments. South west wing and possibly the north west wing 1852-5 by Decimus Burton for Miss Dealty, south east wing and the attached north west stable block added circa 1878 for owners with the initials HW and north west wing refronted in 1930 and west garden room added for Alexander Drake Kleinwort the banker. Converted into 11 apartments in the 1940s
NORTH WEST ENTRANCE BLOCK: Dated 1930 but a refurbishment of a C19 wing. Classical style, faced in ashlar with slate mansard roof with two tall chimneystacks with round-headed arches. Two storeys and attics: nine windows. Attic storey has seven pedimented dormers with 9-pane sashes. The centre three bays project under an elaborate pediment with a shield and motto "NIL SINE LABORE". Deep modillion cornice. Fifteen pane sashes in surrounds with keystones, ears and feet to first floor. Ground floor has alternate curved and triangular pediments, the curved ones bearing fasces, and mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights. Central doorcase with projecting curved pediment with the initials ADK, olive wreaths and half-Tuscan columns flanked by sidelights. Elaborate doorcase with rectangular fanlight and wrought iron grille to fanlight. Four elaborate rainwaterheads dated 1930.
Attached to the north west is a mid C19 block modified circa 1930. The front is rendered with circa 1930 slate mansard roof and four tall stone chimneystacks. Pedimented dormer windows with 12-pane sahes and sash windows with cornices and brackets to the lower floors. The rear elevation is of three storeys red brick with cambered 12-pane sash windows to the upper floors, larger sashes with vertical glazing bars only to the ground floor and a late C19 timberframed, gabled square bell turret.
Attached to the west is a one storey early C20 Classical style garden room, in ashlar with hipped slate roof, glazed in the centre, and tall chimneystack. Cornice with paired obelisk finial, rusticated pilasters, twenty-four pane sashes in elaborate surrounds and oculus facing north east.
SOUTH WEST WING: 1852-5 in Classical style, stuccoed with slate roof. It is of two storeys: seven windows. Moulded cornice with later C19 balustrading superimposed. First floor windows have pediments and brackets and three have 12-pane sashes. Tall ground floor windows behind balconies with cast iron balustrading supported on stone columns. Two bays of the entrance block with a Venetian window may also have originally been of this building phase. The rendered octagonal corner tower to the extreme south west and one bay along the south east are probably also of this building phase as there are identical pediments and brackets to first floor windows. Round-headed arches to ground floor of tower. Old photographs show there was previously an ogee-headed dome with metal finial to the tower. This has been replaced with a pyrmidal roof and a metal weathervane dated 1900. The rear elevation of this wing, facing on to an internal courtyard is of red brick, mainly with cambered 12-pane sash windows but a large three tier 6-light staircase window inserted in 1930 and ground floor addition.
SOUTH EAST WING: The rest of the south east wing is dated 1878 with the initials HW. It is of two storeys red brick with seven windows, mainly cambered with a dated oriel window to the right hand side. Cemented balustrading.
FORMER STABLE BLOCK: Attached to the north west of the entrance block is a late C19 former stable block arranged on three sides of a courtyard with former coach house in the centre flanked by gabled stable wings. Red brick ground floors, timberframed and plastered first floors and tiled roofs with brick chimneystacks. Mullioned or mullioned and transomed casements and six-panelled doors with pivoting fanlights above.
INTERIOR: The public rooms in the north western wing were refurbished circa 1930 in Jacobean style. The entrance hall has an elaborate strapwork ceiling and oak panelling, stone fireplace with carved overmantel and blue Turkish tiles. Double doors lead off and there is an oak well staircase with flat balusters, elaborate carved newel post with the Kleinwort shield and a gallery with round-headed arches and tapering balusters. The stained glass staircase window has eight shields of the Kleinwort family. further carved stone fireplace with Turkish tiles opposite the staircase. The remainder of the interior was not seen.
Large house with Decimus Burton core of 1852-5, extended circa 1878, with Classical style refronting of the entrance block in ashlar circa 1930 and fine 1930 Jacobean style interior to public rooms.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings