History in Structure

Cast Iron Electrical Transformer Pillar

A Grade II Listed Building in Tadworth and Walton, Surrey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2815 / 51°16'53"N

Longitude: -0.2343 / 0°14'3"W

OS Eastings: 523243

OS Northings: 155074

OS Grid: TQ232550

Mapcode National: GBR JHD.MKM

Mapcode Global: VHGS2.W1HY

Plus Code: 9C3X7QJ8+H7

Entry Name: Cast Iron Electrical Transformer Pillar

Listing Date: 14 February 2006

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391489

English Heritage Legacy ID: 494851

ID on this website: 101391489

Location: Walton on the Hill, Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, KT20

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead

Electoral Ward/Division: Tadworth and Walton

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Kingswood St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Lower Kingswood


This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 8 February 2023 to correct the name, amend description and to reformat the text to current standards


Cast Iron Electrical Transformer Pillar

(Formerly listed as Cast Iron Electricity Sub-station)



Electrical transformer pillar, early-C20 (believed to date from 1909). The pillar stands in the grounds of Castle House, to the north of a building called Castle Lodge.

DESCRIPTION: the pillar is a circular cast-iron structure around 2m tall with three tiers of panels. As the panels decrease in height from base to top, they become increasingly ornate. The top panel is decorated, and the middle panel has moulded bands at top and bottom. It is finished with a slightly sloping roof with a projecting cornice decorated with egg and dart ornament, and is surmounted by a foliated finial. The lower and middle panels contain two pairs of double doors on opposite sides with decorative hinges, which give access to the internal workings. The pillar is painted green.

This is a standard design of the early-C20, made by the British Electric Transformer Company, based in Hayes in Middlesex. Four others are known to survive in-situ and these are all listed. This is a well-preserved example of this class of structure, and has merit as an illustration of industrial design for the early electricity industry.

HISTORY: the owners of Castle House in the early-C19, the Allom family, were proprietors of an electrical components business and installed the pillar in order to bring electricity to their house and to those of their neighbours. It is likely to have been erected in 1909, but certainly before 1938 when it was adopted by the local electricity supply company.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: this electrical transformer pillar was installed around 1909 by the owners of Castle House, proprietors of an electrical components business. This is a good in-situ example of early electricity distribution equipment of a widely-used and elegant design, illustrative of the quality of industrial design for the early electricity industry.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.