History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Allendale, Northumberland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.803 / 54°48'10"N

Longitude: -2.218 / 2°13'4"W

OS Eastings: 386080

OS Northings: 545369

OS Grid: NY860453

Mapcode National: GBR DDYX.L1

Mapcode Global: WHB32.WJZT

Plus Code: 9C6VRQ3J+5Q

Entry Name: War Memorial

Listing Date: 8 February 2006

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391491

English Heritage Legacy ID: 494695

Location: Allendale, Northumberland, NE47

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Allendale

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Allendale St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Allenheads

Description

459/0/10011

ALLENDALE
Allenheads
VILLAGE GREEN
War Memorial
08-FEB-06
II
War Memorial, by R. B Aves. Unpolished granite. Rusticated Celtic cross on square plinth mounted on tapering pedestal with the words "To the glory of God/and in proud and loving memory/of the men of this parish who/gave their lives in the Great Wars/1914-18" (Names) and below "Greater love hath no man than this that a/man lay down his life for his friends"(Name)inscribed on front face. Stepped base below with remaining three names spaced out along riser of base plinth.

HISTORY: First World War memorial with Second World War additions situated in a prominent position within a small hedged enclosure at one corner of the village green. It was commissioned by the War Memorial Committee and sculpted by R.B Aves of Hexham of unpolished Cornish granite. It was erected by public subscription on a site given by Viscount Allendale, who also unveiled the memorial in October 1920.

Summary
This simple First World War memorial with Second World War additions forms an attractive memorial to the dead of two world wars. It was constructed in 1920 by public subscription following the donation of land by Viscount Allendale. Listed Grade II.

Sources: North East War Memorials Project Ref 33728


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.