This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5286 / 51°31'43"N
Longitude: -2.1303 / 2°7'49"W
OS Eastings: 391055
OS Northings: 181087
OS Grid: ST910810
Mapcode National: GBR 1QD.276
Mapcode Global: VH95Z.1V41
Entry Name: Building 24 (Aircraft Repair Workshops)
Listing Date: 1 December 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391609
English Heritage Legacy ID: 496001
Location: Stanton St. Quintin, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: Stanton St. Quintin
Built-Up Area: Lower Stanton St Quintin
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton St Quintin
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
STANTON ST QUINTIN
1384/0/10020 HULLAVINGTON BARRACKS
01-DEC-05 Building 24 (Aircraft Repair Workshops)
Aircraft workshops. 1935 - 6. A Bulloch, architectural advisor to the Air Ministry's Directorate of Works and Buildings. Drawing No 2048/34. Bath stone ashlar on brick or blockwork, profiled tile roofing, tall ashlar stack.
PLAN: Two long hipped service sheds in parallel (for airframes and engines), separated by a lower mainly top-lit flat-roofed unit containing offices, stores, blacksmith's shop, acetylene welders' shop and machine shop.
EXTERIOR: Steel casement windows with horizontal bars, grouped under projecting lintel-bands. The NW front, towards the hangars (qqv), has full height sliding/folding doors to each shed, set forward one bay from the centre section. This has a high flush-coped parapet concealing roof lights, above a central door with overlight, flanked by a single and 2-light casement each side, and all to a lintel band. The returns to SW and NE each have 7 large 3-light casements, the end lights separated from the centre group by downpipes to hopper-heads. The SE front is similar to the NW front, but the central wider door does not have an overlight and the workshop bays project further with 2-light casements on the inner returns.
INTERIOR: Original panelled and sliding doors. The main repair sheds have steel roof trusses and plain concrete floor, one with inspection pit.
HISTORY: This aircraft repair building is one of a group of technical buildings at this nationally important site that are both substantially complete - with original windows and other fitments - and which display the successful fusion of functional and aesthetic requirements that distinguished the early phase of the post-1934 expansion of the RAF. Buildings 20, 22, 23, 24 and 25 all face onto the avenue behind the hangar line, and that bisects the main SE-NW axis of the site.
Hullavington, which opened on June 6th 1937 as a Flying Training Station, is in every respect the key station most strongly representative of the improved architectural quality characteristic of the air bases developed under the post-1934 expansion of the RAF. Its position in the west of England with other training and maintenance bases also prompted its selection in 1938 as one of series of Aircraft Storage Units for the storage of vital reserves destined for the operational front-line. For further details on the site, see Buildings 59, 60 and 61 (The Officers' Mess).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings