This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5286 / 51°31'42"N
Longitude: -2.1294 / 2°7'45"W
OS Eastings: 391116
OS Northings: 181079
OS Grid: ST911810
Mapcode National: GBR 1QD.2FT
Mapcode Global: VH95Z.1VL2
Entry Name: Buildings 28 and 343 (Motor Transport Buildings)
Listing Date: 1 December 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391612
English Heritage Legacy ID: 496004
Location: Stanton St. Quintin, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: Stanton St. Quintin
Built-Up Area: Lower Stanton St Quintin
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton St Quintin
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
STANTON ST QUINTIN
1384/0/10021 HULLAVINGTON BARRACKS
01-DEC-05 Buildngs 28 and 343 (Motor Transport B
Group of motor transport sheds. 1935 - 6. A Bulloch, architectural advisor to the Air Ministry's Directorate of Works and Buildings. Drawing No. 2782/34. Bath stone ashlar on brick, profiled tile roofs.
PLAN: Two buildings in parallel facing an open yard approx 23m wide and 30m long. To the left (NW) a central hipped garage block with lower gabled units in-line each side; on the opposite side of the yard a single gable unit with garages.
EXTERIOR: Windows steel framed casement with horizontal bars. The central unit to the left hand range is in 4 bays, with bull-nosed piers separating roller doors, above which are 6-pane over-lights and a high parapet. To the left the low wing has 3 casements and a door, and to the right a 6-bay open-fronted shed. To the rear the centre unit has 5 tall casements, and the wings have narrow single lights. The single unit opposite the long range is a 6-bay garage with roller doors to bull-nosed piers, but without over-lights.
INTERIOR: Not inspected, but ranges still in use.
HISTORY: A standardised layout for MT sheds on RAF bases; stone facing and designed in conformity with other major units on the base. This building is one of a group of technical buildings at this nationally important site that are both substantially complete -and which display the successful fusion of functional and aesthetic requirements that distinguished the early phase of the post-1934 expansion of the RAF.
Hullavington, which opened on June 6th 1937 as a Flying Training Station, is in every respect the key station most strongly representative of the improved architectural quality characteristic of the air bases developed under the post-1934 expansion of the RAF. Its position in the west of England with other training and maintenance bases also prompted its selection in 1938 as one of series of Aircraft Storage Units for the storage of vital reserves destined for the operational front-line. For further details on the site, see Buildings 59, 60 and 61 (The Officers' Mess).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings