This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1775 / 54°10'38"N
Longitude: -0.5002 / 0°30'0"W
OS Eastings: 497988
OS Northings: 476784
OS Grid: SE979767
Mapcode National: GBR SNY4.H7
Mapcode Global: WHGCK.9819
Plus Code: 9C6X5FGX+XW
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 December 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391782
English Heritage Legacy ID: 502506
Location: Ganton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO12
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ganton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ganton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: York
Tagged with: Farmhouse
SE 97 NE POTTER BROMPTON
1466/6/10004 MANOR FARMHOUSE
Farmhouse, early C18 with late C18/early C19 alterations, renovated from 1996 onwards.
MATERIALS: Chalk with some brick dressings, the rear wing built in chalk with outer brick cladding. Pantile roof and brick stacks.
PLAN: Two storey building fronting onto Main Street with a lower 2 storey projection extending to the rear on the left hand side. The building faces north east and is symmetrical with 3 bays, a central stair and end stacks. It is double depth with reception rooms to the front and a narrower service area to the rear, with the current kitchen extending into the two-bay rear projection that fronts to the south east. Beyond this kitchen there is a further room within the rear projection. The rear projection has 2 ridgeline stacks, an end stack and a stack towards the centre. In the angle between the front range and the rear projection is a single storey lean-to.
ELEVATIONS: North-east: Three first floor 4/8 vertical sash windows with shallow segmental arched lintels formed from brick headers. The window to the left is original and is hornless. Below is a central door beneath a modern porch roof, flanked by 8 over 8 vertical sashes beneath flat lintels formed from cut and rubbed bricks.
South East: All windows are horizontal sliding sashes, either triples (with sides fixed) or doubles, each sash being 6 paned. To the right is the gable wall of the front range with a first floor double sash above a triple sash, both to the left of the end stack and with shallow segmental arched lintels in brick. The rear projection is lower but still 2 storey and continues the line of the gable wall. It has 2 triple sashes at first floor with their lintels close to eaves level. Below the right window is a modern porch flanked by double sash windows. Below the left window there is another triple sash. All ground floor windows have shallow segmental arched lintels in brick. The window to the left of the porch is formed from an original entrance.
South West: The rear of the front range has 2 double, horizontal sliding sash windows at first floor. The gable wall of the rear range has a modern inserted small 4 pane window either side of the chimney stack to the first floor.
North West: The gable wall of the front range has a casement window lighting the rear service room. There is evidence from a visible line and a change in the size of the chalk blocks of the roof line having been raised. There is a further casement window and door to the lean-to. The rear range has a modern inserted pair of French doors to the right.
INTERIOR: Retains exposed beams and joists, those in the kitchen and front rooms being of higher quality than those to the rear. The main beam in the rear room has previously been boxed, and appears to be a reused timber. The main beam in the kitchen is beaded, and both front rooms have beamed ceilings. The roof structure of the rear range is also exposed and features pegged, staggered purlins. On the first floor of the front range and in the ground floor outshut there are several C18 plank doors, some retaining original ironmongery. The roof structure of the front range is more recent, probably early C19.
HISTORY: The farmhouse appears on the First Edition OS map of 1854. Though its footprint is hard to discern owing to the scale of the mapping, there is clearly a rear wing as well as a front range. By 1891 it is shown as having the same dimensions as at present save for a small extension on the northern side. Internal divisions are shown which indicate that the rear wing continued to the front of the house, while the northern end facing the road was separate. This may indicate earlier phases of the building which is largely of early C18 date. From the physical evidence, the rear wing may predate the front, and the front range has been raised, probably in the early C19 from the evidence of the surviving original window. The brick dressings on the upper windows of the front range, and their symmetrical arrangement, would accord with an early C19 'gentrification' of the house, accompanied by the raising of the roof height to the front range. Extensive refurbishment in the 1990s replaced most of the windows and a number of internal features, although these replacements were sympathetic to the building in terms of style and materials.
SOURCES: 'Revisions to Principles of Selection for Listing Buildings: Planning Policy Guidance Note 15' DCMS & DCLG, 2007
'Historic Farmsteads Preliminary Character Statement - Yorkshire and the Humber region', http://www.helm.org.uk, accessed 20 October 2008
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
Manor Farmhouse is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Its building material of chalk blocks is an interesting and complete example of a relatively rare vernacular tradition
* It is a good example of an evolved farmhouse, with evidence of its development through the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries
* Its late C20 renovation has not detracted greatly from its character
* Internal features including exposed roof timbers of C18 date add to its special interest
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings