History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Former Motor House, the Croft (Adjacent to County Hall)

A Grade II Listed Building in Lewes, East Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.872 / 50°52'19"N

Longitude: 0.0029 / 0°0'10"E

OS Eastings: 541020

OS Northings: 109962

OS Grid: TQ410099

Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.7JS

Mapcode Global: FRA B6WS.QYG

Entry Name: The Former Motor House, the Croft (Adjacent to County Hall)

Listing Date: 22 February 2006

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391833

English Heritage Legacy ID: 495227

Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Lewes

Built-Up Area: Lewes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lewes St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lewes

Listing Text

LEWES

518/0/10018 HIGH STREET
22-FEB-06 (South side)
The former Motor House, The Croft (adj
acent to County Hall)

GV II
Purpose-built motor house. Built in 1905.
EXTERIOR: One storey red brick with a gabled tiled roof. The main entrance front facing west has wooden bargeboards to the gable end, pierced by a hipped tiled pentice beneath a triangular three-light fixed casement. Below is a triple sliding door for vehicle access with opaque glass of ten panes to the upper part and plank panelling below. The south elevation has a battered brick buttress with sloping tiled cap, a pedestrian entrance with a plank door and wooden casement window.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
HISTORY: The main house, "The Croft", which adjoins to the north, and to which the motor house is tenuously linked by a section of pipe, was built in 1899, architect Samuel Denman as a family home for John Henry Every, the son of the founder of the Phoenix Foundry in Lewes. The Motor House was built in 1905. Previously horse drawn traffic had been used, as the curbing stones at the sides of the main entrance and the stone mounting block a few metres north west of the main entrance serve to indicate. The stone mounting block is the subject of a separate listing.
STATEMENT OF IMPORTANCE: An early and externally unaltered example of a purpose-built motor house which forms part of a group of structures around "The Croft" which demonstrate the transition from horse transport to motor transport.
SOURCES: Information about the date of the motor house on a panel in "The Croft".

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.