This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.5818 / 55°34'54"N
Longitude: -1.6535 / 1°39'12"W
OS Eastings: 421943
OS Northings: 632075
OS Grid: NU219320
Mapcode National: GBR J3WW.TW
Mapcode Global: WHC0M.KYVR
Entry Name: Seahouses War Memorial
Listing Date: 12 February 2007
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 502570
Location: North Sunderland, Northumberland, NE68
Civil Parish: North Sunderland
Built-Up Area: Seahouses
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: North Sunderland St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
Seahouses War Memorial
First World War Memorial with Second World War additions. Erected in 1923 by Reavell & Tebbs of Alnwick. Constructed of granite with bronze decoration.
The memorial takes the form of an obelisk formed of four stone blocks, tapering towards the top. The front face carries a bronze cross in the form of an inverted sword in relief at the top and a bronze wreath in relief at the base. The obelisk stands on a rectangular pedestal, mounted on a plinth and stepped base. The pedestal carries matching bronze plaques on its front and rear faces The whole is set on a cobbled base within a low railing of granite blocks with a chain. Surrounding low granite walls date with gates and railings were erected in 1995.
Inscription on front reads
NORTH SUNDERLAND PARISH/IN MEMORY/OF THOSE WHO FELL IN THE WAR/1914-1918/(NAMES)
Inscription on rear reads
NORTH SUNDERLAND PARISH/IN MEMORY/OF THOSE WHO FELL IN THE WAR/ 1939-1945/(NAMES)
Inscription on plinth reads THIS HAVE I DONE FOR YOU
UK National Inventory of War Memorials ref: 33526
North East War Memorials Project REF WMSS66.01
HISTORY: The parish of North Sunderland had originally hoped to build a memorial hall but insufficient funds were raised for this. This war memorial was designed by Reavell & Tebbs of Alnwick and sculptured by several artists who included the Fordy family. It was unveiled on 5th August 1923 by Lord Armstrong and dedicated by Bishop Ormsby. Immediately prior to the 50th anniversary of VE day, the war memorial was moved to a temporary position in order to facilitate road works and a new traffic management regime. It was re-erected later that year only a few feet from its original position.
War memorials have a very strong historical and cultural significance on both a local and national scale. Erected in 1923, this competent example in the form of a granite obelisk is a good example of a memorial dedicated to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars. It has clear special historic interest and fully meets the criteria for listing in a national context.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings