This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4429 / 51°26'34"N
Longitude: -2.5493 / 2°32'57"W
OS Eastings: 361920
OS Northings: 171687
OS Grid: ST619716
Mapcode National: GBR CLP.9L
Mapcode Global: VH88N.RZNR
Plus Code: 9C3VCFV2+57
Entry Name: Summerhouse in Garden of No. 209
Listing Date: 12 July 2007
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392075
English Heritage Legacy ID: 502304
Location: Brislington, Bristol, BS4
Electoral Ward/Division: Brislington West
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Brislington St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
901-1/0/10177 WICK ROAD
Summerhouse in garden of No. 209
The building is a former summerhouse dating from the late C18 or early C19, possibly to the designs of Daniel Hague. It is constructed of hand made brick laid in a Flemish bond with Bath Stone dressings and parapet; the roof is clad in gritted asphalt. It is of simple rectangular plan.
Exterior: The main south elevation comprises three bays formed by three pointed Gothick windows with low sills and with C20 timber windows with vertical glazing bars. Between the windows there are two blind quatrefoil panels. Above there is a parapet of Bath Stone detailed with Gothic blind arcading; at each end there are pinnacles with recessed panelling on the faces with the upper portion being pyramidal in form. The parapets to the east and west are also of Bath Stone, though they are embattled. The windows in these flank elevations retain their interlaced Gothick glazing bars, though the former entrance doors below these heads are now missing. There is a C20 brick garage attached to the west elevation.
Interior: The interior is plain and finished in modern hardboard with a modern ceiling.
History: Wick House(lisedt at grade II)is a substantial house dating from the late C18, when Brislington was a village in the hinterland south of Bristol and 'the favoured retreat of the Bristol merchants when got up in the world'. It was described as 'a capital new-built mansion house' in a Bristol newspaper advertisement in 1794. The early history and architect are not know, but the first occupant is understood to be the Rev Thomas Ireland, rector of Christ Church, Broad Street, Bristol. In around 1794 it was bought by Charles Hill, who remained there until 1830. The house is included in Neale's Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland, which describes the grounds as one 'in which natural advantages have been judiciously improved by art', with garden buildings, a rustic hermitage and a lake'. In the late C19 and early C20, during the ownership of the Harding family (local paint manufacturers) some of the grounds were sold off for development. Between 1900-20 the terrace of seven houses, with No. 209 forming the end of the terrace were built on Wick Road, unusually, the summerhouse was allowed to remain in the grounds of this house, though all the other garden buildings have been demolished. Wick House became an orphanage in 1925.
Reason for designation decision:
The summerhouse formerly in the grounds of Wick House is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* A good example, dating from the late C18 or early C19, of a garden building originally associated with a significant late C18 house and part of an ensemble of garden buildings
* An articulate expression of a C18 Gothick style, demonstrating good quality detailing and craftsmanship
* An essentially intact example of an increasingly rare building type, particularly in an urban context
Other nearby listed buildings