History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Arno's Court Triumphal Arch

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bristol, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4419 / 51°26'30"N

Longitude: -2.5602 / 2°33'36"W

OS Eastings: 361157

OS Northings: 171582

OS Grid: ST611715

Mapcode National: GBR CHP.VZ

Mapcode Global: VH88V.K0VZ

Entry Name: Arno's Court Triumphal Arch

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203684

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378900

Location: Bristol, BS4

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Brislington West

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Brislington St Christopher

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST67SW BATH ROAD, Brislington
901-1/56/428 (North East side)
08/01/59 Arno's Court Triumphal Arch
(Formerly Listed as:
BATH ROAD
(North side)
Arno's Court Gateway)

GV II*

Triumphal arch. c1760. Believed to be by James Bridges. For
William Reeve. Bath stone. Classically proportioned but with
Gothic and Moorish detail, it forms a free-standing wall with
tall central round archway flanked by plain arched doors,
separated by an impost band from a canopied niche above. The
main arch has Gothic moulding with arcaded ornament and
imposts; the canopies are carved with fishscale weathered top
surface and traceried edge under an ogee moulding, which
terminates in a finial, and has blind tracery on the
underside; over the main arch projects a panel of stone for an
uncarved coat of arms, with a round hood over, running into a
string course; the central range is a third higher than the
sides and broken forward slightly; the top section contains a
niche flanked by terms, and ogee moulding above terminating in
a leaf finial; blind tracery and crenellated parapet to sides
and centre with Moorish merlons. The niches once contained
carvings from the demolished City Gates. Rear elevation much
simpler, a carving of the City's coat of arms above main arch.
Originally the gateway to Arno's Castle, moved to the entrance
to Arno's Court Bath House in 1912. The ovolo mouldings and
other evidence lend credence to the theory that the arch may
be an original Caroline city gate, but the available evidence
supports the 1760 presumption.
(Latimer J: The Annals of Bristol in the Eighteenth Century:
Bristol: 1887-1908: 377; Grimm S H: Gate at Mt Pleasant,
Brislington: 1789-).


Listing NGR: ST6115771582

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.