History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Montgomery Memorial, St Andrew's Churchyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Bacton, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8501 / 52°51'0"N

Longitude: 1.4679 / 1°28'4"E

OS Eastings: 633604

OS Northings: 333696

OS Grid: TG336336

Mapcode National: GBR XGL.CY6

Mapcode Global: WHMSK.JM7F

Entry Name: Montgomery Memorial, St Andrew's Churchyard

Listing Date: 6 August 2007

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1392100

English Heritage Legacy ID: 495478

Location: Bacton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Bacton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Bacton

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Bacton

Listing Text

BACTON

1236/0/10006 CHURCH LANE
06-AUG-07 (North side)
Montgomery Memorial, St Andrew's Churc
hyard

GV II
Headstone. 1924. Fine white stone. Carved in Art Nouveau style. The east face has two bas-relief angels in the form of herms at the sides of the headstone, one wing of each curving over to form an arch corresponding with the curved top of the stone. The monument is based on Attic funerary art. One hand rests on the chest of each woman and they appear to be dressed in chitons, Classical Greek tunics.However as they have 1920s bobbed hair they could be in simple contemporary dress. Behind are a pair of gates, one partly open as if leading to 'life eternal'. Mors Janua Vitae- death is the gateway to life- was a widely known Classical epigram.
There are inscriptions on the reverse to various members of the Montgomery family.
HISTORY.
This headstone was erected in 1924 with the inscriptions being added in 1954. It stands at the head of the Montgomery family plot in St. Andrew's Churchyard close to the south east corner of the chancel.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE.
This is a finely designed and carved headstone of 1924 in Art Nouveau style showing two angel herms, a wing of each forming an arch which leads to a partly open gateway. It also forms a group with the adjacent Church of St. Andrew (q.v.).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.