This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5307 / 51°31'50"N
Longitude: 0.0011 / 0°0'3"E
OS Eastings: 538900
OS Northings: 183209
OS Grid: TQ389832
Mapcode National: GBR KY.BXW
Mapcode Global: VHGQV.YSXF
Entry Name: Northern Outfall Sewer Bridge over Channelsea River
Listing Date: 9 April 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392549
English Heritage Legacy ID: 493495
Location: Newham, London, E15
Electoral Ward/Division: Stratford and New Town
Built-Up Area: Newham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: West Ham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
251/0/10086 Northern outfall sewer bridge over Cha
09-APR-08 nnelsea River
Sewer bridge. 1900-2, to designs prepared in 1891-4 under Maurice Fitzmaurice, engineer, following a report by Sir Benjamin Baker and Sir Alexander Binnie, engineers, for the London County Council. Steel girders with ornamental cast-iron railings over guilloche friezes. Supported by outer brick abutments and two massive central supporting piers; polychrome white and black brick to more public north side; yellow stock brick to south, all English bond. Millstone grit copings. Northwest abutment wall curved, south abutment parapets extend about 18m to west and 15m to east to terminating piers. Interior not inspected.
The Northern Outfall Sewer was part of Sir Joseph Bazalgette's enormous and heroic programme of works to give London mains drainage in the 1860s. Abbey Mills Pumping Station (q.v.), just to the west of this bridge, was the grandest single part of these works. The station itself was enlarged in 1891-6 (B Station, q.v.). The bridge was rebuilt and widened in 1900-2 to carry five 9ft-diameter sewers, two more than its predecessor. It is a significant part of the group of historic structures at Abbey Mills, reflecting early expansion of the complex to cope with London's growing population. It is also an extraordinary structure in its own right.
Sources: London County Council Minutes, 5 December 1899, 25 January 1900, 17 May 1900 and 22 July 1902; The Engineer, 18 July 1913, p. 64.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings