This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5301 / 51°31'48"N
Longitude: -0.0007 / 0°0'2"W
OS Eastings: 538779
OS Northings: 183137
OS Grid: TQ387831
Mapcode National: GBR KY.BHX
Mapcode Global: VHGQV.XSZX
Entry Name: C Station, with Associated Valve House, Abbey Mills Pumping Station
Listing Date: 9 April 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392550
English Heritage Legacy ID: 493500
Location: Newham, London, E15
Electoral Ward/Division: Stratford and New Town
Built-Up Area: Newham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Stratford St John with Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
251/0/10087 C station, with associated valve house
09-APR-08 , Abbey Mills Pumping Station
Pumping station and associated valve house, 1910-14, to designs prepared under George W. Humphreys, engineer, for the London County Council. Pumping station is white stock brick with terracotta and moulded stone dressings. Slate roof with long lantern on ridge. A long low single-storey range, round-headed windows with hood moulds, stylistically a faint Gothic echo of A and B pumping stations (q.q.v.), with crisp well crafted detailing. 19-bay elevation facing main Abbey Mills Pumping Station articulated 3:4:5:4:3, ends and centre breaking forward under gables, central entrance, outer relieving arches. Opposite elevation similar with four bays to centre. Gabled five-bay returns with central entrances. Internal pumping floor sunk deep below ground level. Early pumping machinery said to be replaced.
The associated pumping station valve house is white stock brick with terracotta and moulded stone dressings. Flat roof. A small L-plan single-storey block over a tall raised plinth. Round-headed windows with hood moulds.
HISTORY: C Station was built at the end of a long programme of improvement works initiated in 1891 to enhance capacity for handling north London's sewage at Abbey Mills, the grandest part of the enormous programme of sewerage works carried out under Sir Joseph Bazalgette for the Metropolitan Board of Works in the 1860s. Completion of new sewers made C Station necessary, especially to cope with storm water.
The 1910-14 pumping station at Abbey Mills is a building of restrained architectural quality and a significant part of the group of historic structures at Abbey Mills. It has visual group value and also reflects early expansion of the complex to cope with London's growing population.
SOURCES: The Engineer, 18 July 1913, pp. 64-8; National Monuments Record, Buildings Index File No. 92244.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings