This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2865 / 52°17'11"N
Longitude: -0.9015 / 0°54'5"W
OS Eastings: 475029
OS Northings: 265944
OS Grid: SP750659
Mapcode National: GBR BVP.LWN
Mapcode Global: VHDRS.BS8J
Plus Code: 9C4X73PX+JC
Entry Name: Boughton Hall
Listing Date: 18 June 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392619
English Heritage Legacy ID: 495560
Location: Boughton, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN2
Civil Parish: Boughton
Built-Up Area: Northampton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Boughton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
760/0/10013 BOUGHTON HALL
Country house, 1844 by William Burn for the Howard-Vyse's, in Tudor-Gothic style.
Constructed of randomly coursed local stone with slate-covered gable roofs and ridge and end stacks rebuilt in gault brick.
Approximately 'L' shaped in plan, the polite range is of two storeys with an attic and the service wing, arranged in two gables, is of two storeys with a cellar. There are deeply recessed Elizabethan-style mullion and transom windows of mostly two or three lights with stone surrounds throughout, some with drip-mouldings above. The fenestration in the main range comprises single lights or two pane sash windows and those in the service wing and attic have sashes with 4-over-4 lights with glazing bars.
The principal elevation of the polite range faces to the south-west and has two full-height projecting bays to the right and left, the latter with a ground floor bay window. Each projecting bay has coped pediments adorned with finials and there are two similarly detailed central dormers with gablets. The north-west elevation focuses on the full-height entrance lobby beneath a hipped roof. It is positioned in the angle between the front range and stair tower and has the ensuite bathroom for one of the principle bedrooms at first floor. A small porch beneath a gablet projects from the lobby, approached by a flight of stone steps framed by low walls.; the four-centred arched entrance has decorated spandrels and drip moulding above. Beneath the coped gablet, an eroded Coat of Arms is apparent. The stair tower has a tall rectangular window equally divided with three mullions and transoms. The service wing projects to the north-east and comprises two gables; the westernmost gable is one bay longer and a C20 porch forms the new entrance to Pegasus House in the angle between the two. A C20 single storey addition projects to the south-east The north-west and south-east elevation have three dormers beneath gablets. The south-east elevation of the polite range has a flight of steps with stone walls leading to a door with stone surround, with windows above and to the left. The rear elevation of the main range is largely obscured by the service wing, but it is apparent that some rebuilding has occurred at the position of the back stairs possibly as a result of the fire in the 1920s.
Burn's plan remains largely intact and comprises, in the polite range, an axial corridor with flagstone covering to the rear of a range of polite rooms on both ground and first floor. The main entrance lies at the west end of the corridor, and a secondary entrance leading into the pleasure gardens is at the east. The C16 restored coat of arms of Elizabeth I is wall mounted in the entrance. Beyond the entrance lobby, through another four-centred arched doorway and framed by projecting ribs resting on corbels carved with medieval faces, is the main staircase comprising carved timber handrail and newell posts and decorative cast iron balusters. The ceiling above has a central rose, radiating ribs to a frieze embossed with foliate, geometric, fleur-de-lys and Tudor rose motifs. Four panelled doors lead into the polite rooms on both floors, which have a south-west aspect. Although there are no contemporary fireplaces remaining, on the ground floor all rooms have shutter boxes to the windows and have good quality decorative plasterwork; that in the central room (probably the library) having a particularly ornate cornice of acanthus leaves. The corridor wall at the east end has been removed to open out the most easterly room, which may have been the dining room. On the first floor, less ornate, but deep plaster cornices remain in each room and although there has been some remodelling, the relationship between the main bedrooms and ensuite bathrooms has been maintained. At the east end, the remnants of the back stairs remain between the first floor and attic, but the staircase itself contains C20 elements. Of some interest is the mullion and transom stair window; the armorial stained glass in the central panels depict the Mackaness, Earls of Stafford and Howard-Vyse coats of arms. There has been some reworking of the attic spaces, but two of the rooms contain late C19 fireplaces.
The service wing contains a range of rooms on either side of a corridor on the central axis. Although the plan-form of the service wing is largely intact, there are no historic fixtures and fittings of interest. Some elements from the remodelled back stairs are found at the south end, but do not appear to be in their original position.
Built to the east of the former medieval and later Boughton Hall, the new hall, designed by William Burn was constructed in 1844, in part perhaps for the Rev. Granville Howard-Vyse who had become rector of Boughton. He lived at the hall until his death in 1896, thereafter it was leased until 1927 when it was sold to F W Panther, Esq. Panther reformed the lake in the grounds and restored the Elizabeth I coat of arms found in the kitchen garden in the mid C19 by the Rev Howard-Vyse. The estate was sold to Mr J Mackaness in 1964, who undertook restoration prior to occupying the hall in 1966. Within the last 15 years or so, the hall has been sold on and subdivided into two units; the stables and coach-houses to the north have also been subdivided into many residencies.
Colvin, H. 'A biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840', 3rd Edn, Yale 1995 pp182-192.
Fawcett, J (ed) 'Seven Victorian Architects', London Thames and Hudson, 1976, pp 8-31.
Pevsner N and Cherry, B 'Northamptonshire' Penguin, 1973.
Ranson, S.R 'Boughton Hall' 1969.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION
The former Boughton Hall, now known as Boughton Hall and Pegasus House, is designated in Grade II for the following principal reasons.
* It is an excellent example of William Burn's masterful use of plan-form, seen in his designated compositions in England and Scotland.
* It has good quality exterior treatment, both in materials and craftsmanship and has a distinguished design accentuated by the use of projecting gables and interplay of the roof-scape.
* It retains important interior features including the Elizabeth I coat of arms believed to date from c 1570.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings