History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bloomsbury Cottage and Attached Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Newmarket, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2435 / 52°14'36"N

Longitude: 0.4013 / 0°24'4"E

OS Eastings: 564041

OS Northings: 263311

OS Grid: TL640633

Mapcode National: GBR N9Y.69G

Mapcode Global: VHJGH.WVZZ

Plus Code: 9F426CV2+CG

Entry Name: Bloomsbury Cottage and Attached Stables

Listing Date: 30 October 2006

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1392764

English Heritage Legacy ID: 499778

Location: Newmarket, West Suffolk, Suffolk, CB8

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Newmarket

Built-Up Area: Newmarket

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Newmarket St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Newmarket

Description

NEWMARKET

TL6463 FITZROY STREET
177/7/10028 7
30-OCT-06 Bloomsbury Cottage and attached stables

II
House and attached stables, formerly racehorse training establishment. Datestone set in left hand half-gable of house inscribed C.D. 1865, but both house and stables probably early C19.
MATERIALS. House front of red brick, otherwise walls of random knapped flint with red brick dressings. House roof of slate with lead hips. The stables reroofed c.1990 with red pantiles.
PLAN. The house a double-depth block with short wings to rear left. At rear of house to left and backing onto Grosvenor Yard, a probably contemporary range of stables facing small yard to right.
ELEVATIONS. House of 2 storeys and cellar; symmetrical 2-window range of 6/6 unhorned sashes to both floors; 2 arched lights to cellar protected by iron pavement grilles. On the ground floor a central doorway with 6-panel door and overlight. Ground floor openings have segmental arches. Blank central recess over. Sides of house blank. To rear 2 axial stacks, wings with sash and casements and single-storey link to stables.
INTERIOR of house not inspected.
Stable range of 2 storeys extended by a single-storey block. The front of the main range with 2 doorways each with a boarded door and 2-light overlight and each flanked to right by a 6/6 sash, all under segmental arches. On the first or loft floor a central loading door reached by C20 timber steps and 2 small windows, one with horizontal sliding small-paned sash, the other louvred. Left end has doorway blocked with window and right end a single-storey extension with 2 boarded half-doors with overlights.
INTERIOR of stables. Originally 4 loose-boxes in main range but 2 to right altered. 2 loose-boxes in the single-storey extension.
HISTORY. Towards the end of the C19 George Ashby trained here for the brewer, Hamar Bass, and, although he had only about a dozen horses each season, he won the Goodwood Stakes with Carlton Grange in 1896.
NOTE. An excellent surviving example of the sort of small-scale racehorse training establishment which formerly existed at the rear of many of the properties within the town of Newmarket.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.