This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7418 / 51°44'30"N
Longitude: -2.2409 / 2°14'27"W
OS Eastings: 383466
OS Northings: 204811
OS Grid: SO834048
Mapcode National: GBR 1MJ.Q8N
Mapcode Global: VH94Y.3HQ3
Plus Code: 9C3VPQR5+PM
Entry Name: Crane at Dudbridge Wharf
Listing Date: 2 October 2001
Last Amended: 19 May 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 500171
Location: Cainscross, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5
Civil Parish: Cainscross
Built-Up Area: Stroud
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cainscross St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
Former crane on the south side of the canal, at the former Dudbridge Wharf. Erected in 1854 for the Stroudwater Navigation; manufactured by John Stevenson of Preston.
MATERIALS: wrought and cast iron with wooden jib.
DESCRIPTION: the rotating, hand-operated crane consists of a central pillar over a base-plate (concealed at time of inspection, 2001). The wooden jib, 7.3m long, rises at an angle of 47 degrees and was designed to carry loads of up to five tons. Attached to the cast-iron frame is a geared winding mechanism, with a chain running to the top pulley; the jib is strengthened with a pair of wrought iron rods running from winch to pulley. The main castings of the sides of the frame bear the inscription in raised capital letters 'JOHN STEVENSON CANAL FOUNDRY PRESTON'.
The Stroudwater Navigation, built in 1775-9, was designed to link the River Severn at Framilode to Stroud, allowing coal to be brought from Shropshire, Staffordshire and the Forest of Dean to the textile mills of the Stroud valleys. The Thames and Severn Canal, constructed in 1783-9, was designed to run eastwards from Stroud, eventually linking the River Severn to the River Thames at Inglesham, near Lechlade. The Cotswold Canals, as they are also known, were generally successful, though the Thames and Severn in particular suffered serious technical failings which compromised its profitability; despite this, both canals continued in use well into the C20.
Dudbridge Wharf, on the Stroudwater Canal, served the area to the west of Stroud; after Walbridge it was second in importance to the Canal Company and was used by several traders at the same time. The crane at Dudbridge was supplied in 1854 at a cost of £200 18s 2d to replace an earlier crane at the wharf. Historic documents indicate that it was repaired in 1889, 1908 and 1913.
The crane at Dudbridge Wharf is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Rarity: it is the last surviving crane on either the Stroudwater or Thames and Severn Canals
Intactness: although unused for a number of years, its component parts remain remarkably complete and enable a clear understanding of how the crane operated
Group value: it contributes significantly to the history of the canal and complements other canal-related structures listed nearby.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings