This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8919 / 52°53'30"N
Longitude: -2.1253 / 2°7'31"W
OS Eastings: 391667
OS Northings: 332720
OS Grid: SJ916327
Mapcode National: GBR 15R.PHZ
Mapcode Global: WHBDF.BK6W
Entry Name: Crossing House
Listing Date: 10 February 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392900
English Heritage Legacy ID: 493332
Location: Stone, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15
Civil Parish: Stone
Built-Up Area: Stone
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Aston St Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
(Formerly listed under UTOXETER ROAD)
Railway crossing cottage. C.1849. Red English bond brick with blue brick diapering and ashlar dressings and a banded fishscale and plain tile roof. Single storey. The west front facing the railway has a central, gabled wing which projects slightly. This has a door with 4-centered, ashlar surround and, within the same surround, a pair of single-light casements to either side [the doorway had been partially blocked to its lower body with a window inserted above at the time of survey, 2005]. The gable contains a panel of diapering and has decoratively carved bargeboards which are cusped and chamfered. To the right is walling with diapering and to the left a window with 2-light casement set in an ashlar surround. There is a 2-flue, cross-axis ridge stack to right of centre. The north gable end has a projecting stack which dies back by ashlar offsets but has lost its brick flue. The gable has similar bargeboards to those seen above the door. At left is a lean-to which appears to be of a later date. The interior was not inspected.
History: In 1849 the Macclesfield and Colwich branch of the North Stafordshire Railway was opened.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings