History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Maltings of Former Hardy and Hanson Brewery

A Grade II Listed Building in Kimberley, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.0006 / 53°0'2"N

Longitude: -1.2606 / 1°15'38"W

OS Eastings: 449721

OS Northings: 345062

OS Grid: SK497450

Mapcode National: GBR 8GV.S5R

Mapcode Global: WHDGJ.LVY2

Entry Name: The Maltings of Former Hardy and Hanson Brewery

Listing Date: 5 November 2008

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1392976

English Heritage Legacy ID: 505697

Location: Kimberley, Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, NG16

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Kimberley

Built-Up Area: Kimberley

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Kimberley and Nuthall

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Watnall Cantelupe

Listing Text


1570/0/10020 HARDY STREET
05-NOV-08 The Maltings of Former Hardy and Hanson

Maltings. Erected in 1861 and designed by William Grace for the former Hardy's Brewery

MATERIALS: Red brick with slate coverings to the kiln and growing floor roofs. Some parts of the latter have been replaced by C20 corrugated sheeting.

EXTERIOR: The malting kilns stands on Hardy Street with each of the four kilns occupying two bays of the road frontage range. The bays are delineated by plain pilasters and give a panel and pier appearance to the Hardy Street elevation. A further four bays extend north-westwards beyond the kiln range, its northern gable now modified and its upper part clad in corrugated sheeting. The kilns have barred openings to their upper level, and entrances to cellars at ground level, through which fuel for the kilns could be unloaded. The growing floor ranges extend at right angles south-westwards from the kilns, and comprise two parallel ranges - there are two kilns for each range. Each range is three stories high and eight full bays in length, with half bays to either end and a further full bay at the south-west end, below a gabled hoist canopy. Each bay has tiered openings to all floors, some have now been blocked or modified in size, but the pattern of the original disposition of openings can still be clearly seen. A loading bay has been constructed against the south-west elevation, together with a wide canopy to the right of centre. To the left of this is an inserted first floor double doorway and access stair.

INTERIOR: Internally the kilns and growing floors are little altered, and are of conventional form, with low floor-to ceiling heights, and long timber bridging beams of pine (one with an export mark dated 1857) supported on two rows of slender metal columns set on padstones. The front and rear wall openings have wooden horizontal sliding shutters, which allow some regulation of the air flow across the growing floors. The stairs are at the south-west end of the growing floors, as were the former barley steeps, which survive in part. The kilns are little altered structurally, and retain their furnaces within furnace cellars. The drying floors are formed of perforated ceramic tiles supported on webs of metal beams. One pair of kilns has a dividing wall between the drying floor areas; the other is a double kiln with an in-situ mechanical grain turner.

HISTORY: Kimberley was the home to two major brewery developments in the late C19, and the surviving brewery buildings remain a major presence in the heart of the settlement. The development of the brewing industry at Kimberley began in 1846 when Stephen Hanson and a local maltster, John Tomlinson built a new brewery in the town. In 1861, William and Thomas Hardy commissioned the architect William Grace of Burton upon Trent to design a new 'ten quarter brewery' with maltings, brewhouse, ale bottling and cask filling cellars, wine and spirit stores, workshops, cooperage, offices and stables. It is the maltings built as part of this site that is the building in question here. The two brewery sites continued to develop and expand throughout the C19 and early C20. A notable phase of development occurred in 1876, when a new range of floor maltings, designed by a Mr Bailey of Newark, were added to Hardy's Brewery. Later, in 1882, a new range of brewery buildings designed by Robert Grace were built on the four acre site, including new fermenting rooms, a large malt store, a new aerated water plant, offices, brewers' laboratory and workshops for carpenters, wheelwrights and blacksmiths. In 1880, the Midland Railway opened a line through Kimberley, and both breweries developed private sidings. In 1890, a new enlarged Hanson's Brewery was completed, adjacent to the Hardy's site, to the designs of the specialist brewery architect William Bradford, with a 6 storey brewery tower as its centrepiece. The two breweries remained as competitors until 1930 when they merged, and soon afterwards, in 1932, brewing ceased on the Hanson site. Further development of the Hardy site continued throughout the C20, as demands for different products were met, and brewing technology changed in response to the demand for keg beer. The Hardy's brewery maltings remained in production until the mid- C20 and was then adapted for other uses. In 1973 the core buildings of Hanson's Brewery were demolished, leaving a small number of minor buildings on the periphery of the site. As explained above, the purchase of Hardy and Hanson's by the Greene King company was followed by the cessation of brewing and the closure of the site in 2006.

SOURCES: Patrick A. The Strategy for the Historic Industrial Environment Report (SHIER) Maltings In England (English Heritage)2004


The maltings at the former Hardy and Hanson's Brewery at Kimberley in Nottinghamshire is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* It is a well-preserved late C19 example of a traditional floor maltings built as part of an integrated brewery complex, and retaining clear evidence of all stages in the production of malt for brewing.

* The complex retains the majority of the characteristic interior features of a floor maltings , including its growing floors supported by rows of columns, and 4 malt kilns with perforated tile drying floors, furnaces and cellars.

* The maltings retains the robust and distinctive architectural features which have characterised the building type throughout its historic phases of development from the C17 to the C20.

* The building is the most important survival from a noted brewery, located in a town (and county) renowned for its brewing history.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.