History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Building No 99 (Main Workshops)

A Grade II Listed Building in Bicester, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9155 / 51°54'55"N

Longitude: -1.1405 / 1°8'25"W

OS Eastings: 459215

OS Northings: 224456

OS Grid: SP592244

Mapcode National: GBR 8X5.SLL

Mapcode Global: VHCX4.53YX

Entry Name: Building No 99 (Main Workshops)

Listing Date: 1 December 2005

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1393041

English Heritage Legacy ID: 497529

Location: Launton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX26

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Launton

Built-Up Area: Bicester

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Launton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Stratton Audley

Listing Text

LAUNTON

SP5924 A 421 (SOUTH-EAST SIDE)
1714/0/10054 RAF Bicester: Technical Site
01-DEC-05 Building No 99 (Main Workshops)

GV II
Workshop for airframe and engine repairs, welders' bay and fabric-workers shop. 1926. By the Air Ministry's Directorate of Works and Buildings, to drawing number 1788/25. Stretcher bond brickwork, brick stack, asbestos-cement slate roof.

PLAN: A group of 3 linked gable single-storey sheds around a narrow central courtyard with in-filling flat-roofed elements, and enclosed at the outer end, containing various well-lit working areas.

EXTERIOR: All parts are generously fenestrated, with large steel casements set to flush concrete lintels and stooled sills; all three sheds have patent roof glazing to both slopes. The gable ends each have wide doorways, one of these a later roller version, and a pair of plank doors to the narrow courtyard entrance.

INTERIOR: Series of steel trusses on brick piers.

HISTORY: The Technical Site at Bicester, separated from the Domestic Site, still has many original buildings, mostly of 1926 but with others added during successive phases of the 1930s Expansion Period. This is a substantial and little altered complex, strategically placed between the two 'A' type hangars (qv), facing the main avenue bisecting the site, leading to the flying field. It also comprises one of the first permanent designs for Britain's independent air force, and through its key function as workshops for airframe and engine repairs comprises an integral part of a uniquely important site.

Bicester is the best-preserved of the bomber bases constructed as the principal arm of Sir Hugh Trenchard's expansion of the RAF from 1923, which was based on the philosophy of offensive deterrence. It retains, better than any other military airbase in Britain, the layout and fabric relating to both pre-1930s military aviation and the development of Britain's strategic bomber force - and the manner in which its expansion reflected domestic political pressures as well as events on the world stage - in the period up to 1939. It was this policy of offensive deterrence that essentially dominated British air power and the RAF's existence as an independent arm of the military in the inter-war period, and continued to determine its shape and direction in the Second World War and afterwards during the Cold War. The grass flying field still survives with its 1939 boundaries largely intact, bounded by a group of bomb stores built in 1938/9 and airfield defences built in the early stages of the Second World War. For much of the Second World War RAF Bicester functioned as an Operational Training Unit, training Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders as well as British air crews for service in Bomber Command. These OTUs, of which Bicester now forms the premier surviving example, fulfilled the critical requirement of enabling bomber crews - once individual members had trained in flying, bombing, gunnery and navigation - to form and train as units.
For further historical details see Buildings Nos 79 and 137 (Type 'A' Hangars).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.