This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9146 / 51°54'52"N
Longitude: -1.1412 / 1°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 459165
OS Northings: 224350
OS Grid: SP591243
Mapcode National: GBR 8X5.SC5
Mapcode Global: VHCX4.54JM
Entry Name: Building No 135
Listing Date: 1 December 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393049
English Heritage Legacy ID: 497534
Location: Launton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX26
Civil Parish: Launton
Built-Up Area: Bicester
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Launton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP5924 A 421 (SOUTH-EAST SIDE)
1714/0/10062 RAF Bicester: Technical Site
01-DEC-05 Building No 135
Special Repair Bay Shed. 1938. By the Air Ministry's Directorate of Works and Buildings, to drawing number 1368/38. Brick with slate gabled roof. Rectangular plan. Four-bay front, articulated by concrete columns with original half-glazed folding doors.
HISTORY: The Technical Site at Bicester, separated from the Domestic Site, still has many of the original buildings, mostly of 1926 but with others added during successive phases of the 1930's Expansion Period. This building is sited close to the main MT group, and comprises an unusually complete example of a 1930s technical building, relating to a uniquely important site.
Bicester is the best-preserved of the bomber bases constructed as the principal arm of Sir Hugh Trenchard's expansion of the RAF from 1923, which was based on the philosophy of offensive deterrence. It retains, better than any other military airbase in Britain, the layout and fabric relating to both pre-1930s military aviation and the development of Britain's strategic bomber force - and the manner in which its expansion reflected domestic political pressures as well as events on the world stage - in the period up to 1939. It was this policy of offensive deterrence that essentially dominated British air power and the RAF's existence as an independent arm of the military in the inter-war period, and continued to determine its shape and direction in the Second World War and afterwards during the Cold War. The grass flying field still survives with its 1939 boundaries largely intact, bounded by a group of bomb stores built in 1938/9 and airfield defences built in the early stages of the Second World War. For much of the Second World War RAF Bicester functioned as an Operational Training Unit, training Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders as well as British air crews for service in Bomber Command. These OTUs, of which Bicester now forms the premier surviving example, fulfilled the critical requirement of enabling bomber crews - once individual members had trained in flying, bombing, gunnery and navigation - to form and train as units.
For further historical details see Buildings Nos 79 and 137 (Type 'A' Hangars).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings