History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary Marker at SO7829546672

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Malvern, Worcestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1179 / 52°7'4"N

Longitude: -2.3184 / 2°19'6"W

OS Eastings: 378295

OS Northings: 246672

OS Grid: SO782466

Mapcode National: GBR 0FN.2PW

Mapcode Global: VH934.R1Q6

Plus Code: 9C4V4M9J+5J

Entry Name: Boundary Marker at SO7829546672

Listing Date: 10 January 2008

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1393188

English Heritage Legacy ID: 502924

Location: Malvern, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR14

County: Worcestershire

Civil Parish: Malvern

Built-Up Area: Great Malvern

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Great Malvern Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Great Malvern

Description

MALVERN

943/0/10057 Boundary marker at SO7829546672
10-JAN-08

GV II
Boundary post, dated 1865. Cast iron with rounded top. Relief lettering reads CLERKENWELL/ 1865./ E.J. THOMPSON/ W. GILLINGWATER/ CHURCH/ WARDENS.

HISTORY: One of a group of boundary posts which were erected to mark the boundary of the Clerkenwell estate given in the mid C17 as a gift by Sir George Strode to the poor of the parish of Clerkenwell in London. Originally there were twenty-five such markers which can be seen on early Ordnance Survey maps. The estate was gradually sold off during the C20.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: One of a group of C19 and early C20 cast iron boundary posts erected to delineate the Clerkenwell Estate. The post has recently been re-erected in the position shown on the third edition Ordnance Survey map after being discovered in a nearby culvert. It has group value with the other boundary markers in Malvern.

Reasons for Listing

One of a number of C19 and early C20 cast iron boundary posts, many of which are listed, erected to delineate the Clerkenwell Estate, a parcel of land bequeathed to the poor of the parish of Clerkenwell, London, in the C17 by Sir George Strode. The post remains intact and is now in its original position. It is of special interest on account of its strong historical interest and good group value.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.