This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1185 / 52°7'6"N
Longitude: -2.3226 / 2°19'21"W
OS Eastings: 378004
OS Northings: 246737
OS Grid: SO780467
Mapcode National: GBR 0FN.1MH
Mapcode Global: VH934.P0GS
Plus Code: 9C4V4M9G+CW
Entry Name: Boundary Marker at So7800446737
Listing Date: 8 January 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393186
English Heritage Legacy ID: 502919
Location: Malvern, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR14
Civil Parish: Malvern
Built-Up Area: Great Malvern
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Malvern The Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
943/0/10055 COCKSHOT ROAD
08-JAN-08 (West side)
Boundary marker at SO7800446737
Boundary post, 1897, of cast iron with canted top and consisting of two panels set at right angles. Relief lettering reads BOUNDARY/ OF THE/ CLERKENWELL/ PROPERTY/ W. ROBSON J.P./ T.H. BRINTON/ A MILLWARD J.P./ H.W. FINCHAM/ CHURCHWARDENS/ 1897.
HISTORY: One of a group of boundary posts which were erected to mark the boundary of the Clerkenwell estate given in the mid C17 as a gift by Sir George Strode to the poor of the parish of Clerkenwell in London. Originally there were twenty five such markers which can be seen on early Ordnance Survey maps. The estate was gradually sold off during the C20.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: One of a number of C19 and early C20 cast iron boundary posts erected to delineate the Clerkenwell Estate. The post remains intact, is located near to its original position, and has good group value with the other markers. This particular boundary marker is unusual in its design, the others in the group being predominately of round headed design and single faced.
One of a number of C19 cast iron boundary posts erected to delineate the Clerkenwell Estate, a parcel of land bequeathed to the poor of the parish of Clerkenwell, London in the C17 by Sir George Strode. The post remains intact and, despite having been moved, is nonetheless considered to be of national importance because it stands sufficiently near to its original location and on the same road.
Other nearby listed buildings