This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4812 / 51°28'52"N
Longitude: -0.6057 / 0°36'20"W
OS Eastings: 496917
OS Northings: 176727
OS Grid: SU969767
Mapcode National: GBR F8L.3P9
Mapcode Global: VHFTG.G14B
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 8 July 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393361
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506823
Location: Windsor and Maidenhead, SL4
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle Without
Built-Up Area: Windsor
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: New Windsor
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
747/0/10020 JUNCTION OF ST ALBANS ROAD & HIGH STREET
08-JUL-09 K6 TELEPHONE KIOSK
K6 telephone kiosk
DESCRIPTION: The K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. The kiosk in intact and appears to be in good condition (2009).
This kiosk stands in a highly prominent location in the historic centre of Windsor, surrounded by listed buildings. It is situated at the confluence of four roads, directly in front of 55 High Street (Grade II). On the opposite side of the street, approximately 25m to the west, stand 1, 2 and 3 High Street (all Grade II). To the south, at a distance of approximately 35m, stand 12-16 Park Street, listed at Grade II*. 25m to the north east of the kiosk is situated the south west gate and lodge to St Alban's Street (Grade II). The kiosk has a strong visual relationship with this group of buildings collectively and can be seen simultaneously with at least two of them when viewed from any direction.
HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The K6 telephone kiosk in St Alban's Road, Windsor, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It has a strong visual relationship with eight listed buildings, four of which are Grade II*
* It is a representative example within an urban setting of this important C20 industrial design
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings