History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milford Bridge, No.105, North of Home Farm, Milford

A Grade II Listed Building in Berkswich, Staffordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7896 / 52°47'22"N

Longitude: -2.0495 / 2°2'58"W

OS Eastings: 396758

OS Northings: 321336

OS Grid: SJ967213

Mapcode National: GBR 28J.4N9

Mapcode Global: WHBF1.H48R

Entry Name: Milford Bridge, No.105, North of Home Farm, Milford

Listing Date: 15 October 2009

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1393482

English Heritage Legacy ID: 507328

Location: Berkswich, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST17

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Berkswich

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Berkswich Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Milford

Listing Text

BERKSWICH

603/19/10022 STAFFORDSHIRE AND WORCESTERSHIRE CANAL
15-OCT-09 MILFORD
Milford Bridge, No.105, North of Home
Farm, Milford

II
Canal accommodation bridge, No. 105. Late-C18 by canal engineer James Brindley for the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal.

MATERIAL: Random bond brick with sandstone coping, though replaced in part with engineering brick.

DESCRIPTION: The bridge is ramped down to the towpath approach on the west side, and terminates in corner piers on the east side. It has a semi-elliptical arch, sandstone string course and plain parapets. The west and east faces each carry a cast-iron plaque bearing the name and number of the bridge. There appears to have been some minor repairs to the structure.

HISTORY: The Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal was one of the earliest canals, constructed under an Act of 1766 and opened fully for traffic in 1772. Devised by James Brindley, the canal runs for 46½ miles between Great Haywood, where it joins the Trent & Mersey Canal (completed 1777) to Stourport where it connects with the River Severn. The canal forms one of the arms of Brindley's `Grand Cross', a scheme to link the Rivers Trent, Mersey, Thames and Severn, and was the first of the arms to be completed.

SOURCES: Victoria County History, A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 5: East Cuttlestone Hundred (1959) 1-11
J. Ian Langford, Towpath Guide for the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal (1974), 37-8

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Milford Bridge (No.105) on the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Despite some minor repairs, it is good example of a substantially intact canal structure of c.1770
* It is considered to be one of the earliest examples of a turnover bridge in the country
* It was designed by James Brindley, a noted navigation engineer
* It is of historic interest in the context of both the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal and as part of the national waterways system of the late C18

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.