History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Six Bollards to Entrance of Green Dragon Court, and Three Bollards and One Lamp Post to Rear of the Globe Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwark, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5055 / 51°30'19"N

Longitude: -0.0898 / 0°5'23"W

OS Eastings: 532669

OS Northings: 180235

OS Grid: TQ326802

Mapcode National: GBR RG.ZH

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.DFC7

Entry Name: Six Bollards to Entrance of Green Dragon Court, and Three Bollards and One Lamp Post to Rear of the Globe Public House

Listing Date: 17 December 2009

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1393612

English Heritage Legacy ID: 506964

Location: Southwark, London, SE1

County: London

District: Southwark

Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals

Built-Up Area: Southwark

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Saviour with All Hallows Southwark

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
London

Listing Text


636-1/0/10134 GREEN DRAGON COURT
17-DEC-09 Borough Market
Six bollards to entrance of Green Drag
on Court, and three bollards and one l
amp post to rear of the Globe public h
ouse

GV II
Nine bollards dated 1813, with gas lamp post dated 1884 by Bailey Page & Co., Bankside

MATERIALS: Cast iron (and glass for the lamp post lantern).

DESCRIPTION: There are two groups of bollards: one row of six at the entrance to Green Dragon Court from Borough High Street, and another of three to the rear of the Globe public house. The lamp post adjoins the latter group. The bollards are cast-iron posts about 1m high, square at the base but tapered and chamfered to form an octagon at the top; each bears an inset panel with the legend '1813 BORO MARKET' in raised lettering.

The lamp post is of more elaborate design, with an octagonal lower section (inscribed 'Bailey Page & Co. 81 Bankside London 1884') rising through a series of elaborate torus mouldings, some with acanthus decoration, into a slender curved neck; it retains its original gas tap, feeder pipe and lantern.

HISTORY: Green Dragon Court, a small alleyway in the angle between the western side of Borough High Street and the northern side of Bedale Street, has been in existence since at least 1746, when John Rocque's map shows it under that name (the eastern part being called Frying Pan Alley). Shortly after this the Borough Market, which had been held in the High Street since medieval times, was moved to its present location to the south of the Priory (now Cathedral) church. By the early C19, when the present bollards were installed, the market area was already covered by a canopy. In the 1860s the area was transformed by the construction of the great triangular railway intersection connecting London Bridge, Waterloo and Cannon Street Stations. The market continued to operate beneath the arches of Sir John Hawkshaw's viaduct complex, taking its present form as a specialist fine foods retail market in the late 1990s.

SOURCES:
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of London 2: South (1983).
John Rocque, A Plan of London, Westminster and the Borough of Southwark (1746).
Survey of London, volume 22: Bankside (the parishes of St. Saviour and Christchurch Southwark), entry for Borough High Street (1950).
Sarah Freeman, 'Borough and the Bridge: A Brief History of Borough Market', at www.boroughmarket.org.uk/index.php?pid=15 (accessed on 20 May 2009).

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The bollards and lamp post at Green Dragon Lane are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* The bollards are a particularly early example of the type, cast in an unusual form and bearing an inscription that relates them to the ongoing history of Borough Market.
* The lamp post is an ornate and well-preserved example of its type, bearing its casting date and the name of a local foundry.
* The bollards and lamp post have group value, both with each other and with the adjacent Globe public house and 16 Borough High Street (both Grade II listed).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Reasons for Listing

The bollards and lamp post at Green Dragon Lane are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* The bollards are a particularly early example of the type, cast in an unusual form and bearing an inscription that relates them to the ongoing history of Borough Market.
* The lamp post is an ornate and well-preserved example of its type, still with its original gas fittings, bearing its casting date and the name of a local foundry.
* The bollards and lamp post have group value, both with each other and with the adjacent Globe public house and 16 Borough High Street (both Grade II listed).

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.