This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1203 / 50°7'13"N
Longitude: -5.5396 / 5°32'22"W
OS Eastings: 147078
OS Northings: 30470
OS Grid: SW470304
Mapcode National: GBR DXPC.KC3
Mapcode Global: VH05H.X7SM
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 26 November 2001
Last Amended: 26 November 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393736
English Heritage Legacy ID: 500289
Location: Penzance, Cornwall, TR18
Civil Parish: Penzance
Built-Up Area: Penzance
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Penzance St Mary the Virgin with St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Truro
866/0/10019 CLARENCE STREET
26-NOV-01 (West side)
CHURCH OF ST PAUL
Anglican church. 1843; by Dr Hocking; west porch added 1886; extended 1893 by J.W. Touson. Coursed granite with granite dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof with granite coping to gables with apex crosses.
PLAN: Originally cruciform on plan with broad and short nave and north and south transepts and sanctuary. In 1886 a porch was built at the west end. In 1893 the north transept was extended to form a large north aisle with a small north porch, and an organ chamber was built in the east angle of the south transept.
Early English style.
EXTERIOR: West front has two gables, the nave on right advanced, with elaborate granite bellcote at apex and granite porch with moulded 2-centred arch and door with wrought-iron hinges; both gabled nave on right and recessed aisle on left have granite angle buttresses and large triple lancets with continuous hoodmoulds and foil at head of each lancet, below aisle window a large dated tablet. Left [N] return gabled to left of centre, lancets and small gabled stone porch on right. East elevation has two gables with triple lancets with continuous hoodmoulds, aisle on right set back, organ chamber projecting on left has lancet and narrow pointed arch doorway.
INTERIOR: Spacious interior with plastered walls and guilded timber high pointed arch-braced roof on false hammerbeams; broad short nave opens into wide north aisle; small 2-bay granite arcade. Large lancet windows with slender shafts, some with stained glass by Willement. Flanking east window are Commandment boards and below is ornate reredos, all painted and guilded. Sedilia and piscina. Communion rail. Eagle lectern of 1907.Large granite pulpit of circa 1870. Serpentine font. Altars removed. Choir stalls moved to south transept. Seating in nave and aisle with poppy-head bench ends. Quarry tile floors.
NOTE: the church was the gift of Rev. Henry Batten, curate of St Mary's, and built as a proprietary chapel for use by supporters of the Oxford Movement.
SOURCES:  Buildings of England, p.139.  Penzance Gazette, 26th April 1843.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings