This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6547 / 53°39'17"N
Longitude: -2.7335 / 2°44'0"W
OS Eastings: 351621
OS Northings: 417833
OS Grid: SD516178
Mapcode National: GBR 9VC5.0L
Mapcode Global: WH865.ZDJK
Entry Name: Re-Used Calvary Cross Slab, Churchyard of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Listing Date: 24 June 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393860
English Heritage Legacy ID: 507682
Location: Eccleston, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7
Civil Parish: Eccleston
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Eccleston St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
RE-USED CALVARY CROSS SLAB, CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
Ledger. Medieval (C13-C15), re-used in 1766 to commemorate John Rigby. Located in churchyard on south-west side of Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Eccleston. Gritstone.
Large rectangular slab aligned east-west. Now lichen covered and south edge partially covered by grass. Original design of incised cross with dovetail terminals set on two step Calvary, with large sword on its right side. Secondary incisions comprise initials 'I(J)R' at the top left and at the top right 'John Rigby / 1766'.
HISTORY: The original cross ledger would have been located within the church. The sword emblem signifies a male burial, to an unknown individual. In the C18 when it was appropriated as a churchyard memorial to one John Rigby who died in 1766.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The re-used medieval ledger located on the south-west side of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Eccleston, is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* Its origin in C13-C15 as a Calvary cross memorial ledger incorporating a sword
* Its secondary history as an unusual example of C18 re-use of a formerly internal ledger, showing a continuity of tradition and the desire for perpetual remembrance of an individual by means of a memorial stone.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings