This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1947 / 52°11'40"N
Longitude: 0.1059 / 0°6'21"E
OS Eastings: 544033
OS Northings: 257248
OS Grid: TL440572
Mapcode National: GBR L7G.9LL
Mapcode Global: VHHK8.S3BD
Entry Name: Gas Lamp Post Outside Number 25
Listing Date: 7 September 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393948
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506949
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB3
Electoral Ward/Division: Newnham
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Ely
667/0/10190 MILLINGTON ROAD
07-SEP-10 Gas lamp post outside number 25
Street lamp erected by the Cambridge University and Town Gas Light Company, c. 1889.
Made of cast iron to a design loosely based on the classical column, the lamp consists of a fluted shaft on a circular base which is set on an octagonal plinth. The shaft tapers slightly before splaying out to form a plain banded capital. A simple four-sided lantern of metal and glass, crowned with a simple spike finial, rests upon four curved metal supports, and a ladder-rest projects from its base.
Gas was introduced to Cambridge in about 1822 by John Grafton. He made gas from oil for street lighting in 1823, producing gas from coal a little later and finally moving his production site to the riverside for ease of coal delivery. An Act of 1834 converted his company to the Cambridge Gas-Light Company, which in 1867 became the Cambridge University and Town Gas Light Company. Gas production ceased on the riverside site in 1969 following the introduction of North Sea gas into Cambridge.
Millington Road was built on land owned by King's College in 1889 and supplied with gas by the Cambridge University and Town Gas Light Company soon after. The gas lamps are still supplied with gas and have remained in use to the present day.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The gas lamp post outside no. 25 Millington Road, Cambridge is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
ARCHITECTURAL AND HISTORIC INTEREST
* It is an unusual example of a finely-detailed C19 gas lamp.
* It is still lit by gas.
* It forms part of an ensemble of 10 other listed gas lamps of the same date and design in Millington Road.
* It has group value with the Grade II listed modernist house by Marshall Sissons at no.26 Millington Road.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings