This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1947 / 52°11'41"N
Longitude: 0.1071 / 0°6'25"E
OS Eastings: 544120
OS Northings: 257260
OS Grid: TL441572
Mapcode National: GBR L7G.9XF
Mapcode Global: VHHK8.T30B
Entry Name: Gas Lamp Post Beside the Passage to Marlowe Road
Listing Date: 7 September 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1394522
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506944
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB3
Electoral Ward/Division: Newnham
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Ely
667/0/10185 MILLINGTON ROAD
07-SEP-10 Gas Lamp post beside the passage to Ma
Street lamp erected by the Cambridge University and Town Gas Light Company, c. 1889.
Made of cast iron to a design loosely based on the classical column, the lamp consists of a fluted shaft on circular base which is set on an octagonal plinth. The shaft tapers slightly before splaying out to form a plain banded capital. A simple four-sided lantern of metal and glass, crowned with a simple spike finial, rests upon four curved metal supports, and a ladder-rest projects from its base.
Gas was introduced to Cambridge in about 1822 by John Grafton. He made gas from oil for street lighting in 1823, producing gas from coal a little later and finally moving his production site to the riverside for ease of coal delivery. An Act of 1834 converted his company to the Cambridge Gas-Light Company, which in 1867 became the Cambridge University and Town Gas Light Company. Gas production ceased on the riverside site in 1969 following the introduction of North Sea gas into Cambridge.
Millington Road was built on land owned by King's College in 1889 and supplied with gas by the Cambridge University and Town Gas Light Company soon after. The gas lamps are still supplied with gas and have remained in use to the present day.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The gas lamp post beside the passage to Marlow Road, on Millington Road, Cambridge is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
ARCHITECTURAL AND HISTORIC INTEREST:
* It is an unusual example of a finely-detailed C19 gas lamp post.
* It is still lit by gas.
* It forms part of an ensemble of 10 other listed gas lamp posts of the same date and design in Millington Road.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings