History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

K6 Telephone Kiosk

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Casterton, Rutland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6763 / 52°40'34"N

Longitude: -0.4949 / 0°29'41"W

OS Eastings: 501860

OS Northings: 309798

OS Grid: TF018097

Mapcode National: GBR FVK.7PY

Mapcode Global: WHGLQ.CZLN

Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk

Listing Date: 4 October 2010

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1394069

English Heritage Legacy ID: 506786

Location: Little Casterton, Rutland, PE9

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Little Casterton

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Little Casterton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Stamford

Listing Text

LITTLE CASTERTON

349/0/10007 MAIN STREET
04-OCT-10 K6 TELEPHONE KIOSK

II
K6 telephone kiosk

DESCRIPTION: The K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in the door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. The kiosk appears to be intact and in good condition (2009).

The telephone kiosk is situated at the centre of this small village, directly in front of Hall Farmhouse and its outbuilding, listed together at Grade II. Adjacent to Hall Farmhouse stand the Granary and Barn associated with Hall Farmhouse, also listed together at Grade II, and across the street is situated Rose Cottage (Grade II). The kiosk forms a close visual grouping with these listed buildings.

HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The K6 telephone kiosk in Little Casterton, Rutland, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It forms a strong visual relationship with three listed buildings
* It is a representative example within a village setting of this important C20 industrial design

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Reasons for Listing

The K6 telephone kiosk in Little Casterton, Rutland, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It forms a strong visual relationship with three listed buildings
* It is a representative example within a village setting of this important C20 industrial design

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.